just a theory, perhaps an odd question....

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Ozzy Manson, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzy Manson

Ozzy Manson Well-Known Member

ok well the other day after half listening to a conversation between my grandma and her friend, i found out that both my grandma and her dad, as well as my dad have a habit of picking at scabs and open sores. and well me, i don't do that but i cut severely. my grandma and her friend had an argument over whether or not the picking was self harm, because as my grandma said obviously cutting is a form of SI, but she didn't believe that what she does is SI. Her friend who is a nurse tried to convince her that it is indeed a form of self injury. neither of them knows i cut. and after that time, i have been formulating a theory about SI. my theory may totally be not even scientifically possible, but pretty much it's based around the idea that self injury could be a hereditary thing. forgive me if this is painfully obvious that it is not possible or something, i'm only a freshman in high school so i don't know how genetics and such work really. but i mean, then maybe it would make sense as to 3 or 4 generations of self injury in my family....though now that i think about it, it could also be not SI that is being handed down, but rather abusive parents. not sure. so i guess, if you know more about this type of a science topic or have thought about this your self, please leave any thoughts or comments....or even if you think i may be onto something with this theory of sorts. and feed back or opinions will be much welcome
  2. NotSureAnymore

NotSureAnymore Well-Known Member

Well that's something to think about. I know I pick at my scabs out of boredom or when I haven't had much sleep. Sometimes I'll scratch bumps until they're raw but I'm not doing it out of hate or sadness. Boredom and lack of sleep would be the reasons for that. But it's still self inflicted.. the intentions are not coming from self hate and what not.

Cutters and such self inflict/harm on purpose because they feel that this the only means that they have of getting out their anger/sadness and whatever else they're feeling. The intentions are coming from a darkness within. They want to feel the pain.. to feel "alive", they want to see the blood and feel something.

I'm still gonna simmer on this topic. This was quite interesting.
  3. Charlie Milles

Charlie Milles Well-Known Member

I think the intent has much importance.
  4. Ozzy Manson

Ozzy Manson Well-Known Member

@ NotSureAnymore; I agree that the intentions of a cutter, and the ways of somebody who picks a scabs are really very different things, though as you said it is still self inflicted. i still find it interesting myself, just because it seems like there should be a connection in there somewhere perhaps, but maybe i'm just crazy :) something to think over for sure.

@Charlie: yes, the intentions do play a very large roll in cutting as the form of self injury as it also comes from an emotional stand point, and at some point i'm sure there is a point where there is not a connection in that same form for picking. yet it still feels odd to me i guess, that 3 generations of my family is effected by self injury, though as far as i know i am the only and the first who's form is cutting.
  5. No_Life

No_Life Well-Known Member

well im no expert but i know my mum was depressed, i have no clue about my father since he left before i was born, so i think that may be passed down, but whether its genetic, or just something that's picked up i have no clue. but i guess if depression is the reason for cutting and depression can be handed down then your theory could be right, though i have no real evidence or anything so dont hold me to it.

as for the SI thing, picking scabs is more like scratching a mosquito bite or biting your nails then it is like cutting, i have always picked at wounds and bitten my nails etc, but out of boredom or the fact the scabs feel unnatural on my skin then to deliberately harm myself, or for the pain, like when i cut myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.