Just been discharged from hospital and things are going wrong again

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by nicolaj1992, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicolaj1992

nicolaj1992 Member

I've just been discharged from hospital after being there for nine weeks, under section three of the mental health act, where I was treated for depression and an emerging personality disorder.

I haven't felt as good as I thought I would've since being discharged but am starting to have no energy, not eat, not be able to sleep well and feel down again.

I thought I'd post here to see if anyone can help, or has any ideas on what I could do as i'm feeling at a real loose end. (sorry if this post isn't on the right forum)

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

do you have any connections in the community you can call and talk to TRy going for a walk it helps the fresh air exercise. Go shopping buy something for you. Call you therapist get earlier appt take care okay
  3. nicolaj1992

nicolaj1992 Member

I have the outreach team but they dont work on fridays or weekends; and My therapist is on leave so can't do an appointment any earlier.

I've been going for daily two hour walks, since being discharged, but they don't make me feel any better. I don't need anything in the shops so can't think of what I'd get as I don't like spending money unless its necessary.

Thanks though

Nicola x
  4. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

You need to make sure to wake up and get dressed every day-- even if you don't want to go out.
    That's a problem that I have... but it needs to be a habit. Just wake up at a reasonable time; shower, get dressed, eat... I find that it makes me feel a bit better to know that I did at least *something* that day, when I think back about how my day was.

Do you have any hobbies?
    Now is a good time to start doing things that you like; or you used to like doing alot. Art like painting or sculping or just sketching... or maybe photography-- doing something that you enjoy and that doesn't take much thought can be helpful.

You need to do your best to sleep AND eat a bit every day. You won't have energy to do anything unless you do that at the very least.
    One last thing I can think of off the top of my head...
    Do you have any pets? Are you allowed to take care of one?
    I seriously suggest getting some kind of animal. Something easy to take care of that can keep you company can be very healing.
    Knowing that you aren't alone- and waking up for the purpose of taking care of another being; even if you don't necessarily care much about yourself-- you know?

I hope I've been a bit helpful to you and best of luck to you!
    take care!
  5. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean.....I was just d/c from the mental ward...I talked my way out of it and was d/c sooner than I should have been....it's like all the triggers and familiarities is sucking the life out of me.
  6. Legna

Legna Member

The possibilities are endless!, start going on regular jogs or runs!, physical activity helps! turn all the lights on and play upbeat music while just workout, or just jump around and get your blood flowing, talk to friends! any close ones you have, pick up a hobby, or focus on a long term dream, The best cure for depression I think, is to dream big, and focus everything you have on making that dream your reality.
  7. myrobotfriend

myrobotfriend Member

You've been institutionalized. It's understandable. Without the regularity of the hospital, meals, therapy etc.. you feel lost.

So.. finding your old routines from the hospital and beginning new healthy routines every morning is the thing to do to recover. Shower every morning when you wake up. Have breakfast. Perhaps find a regular support group that you can frequent. Choose activities that are structured like that, and build your day around them. This will help you.. look forward to the future, or at least know where you'll be in a week, or even the next day.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.