Just curious..

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by thannis, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thannis

thannis Active Member

Has anybody here ever experienced a proper lucid dream? Or sleep paralysis? Does it actually happen to people?

2. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I've had lucid dreaming before. I haven't had it in a while though. I also used to wake up before my brain, like open my eyes and see things that aren't there because I've not woken up yet, but the more I wake up, the more it fades away...my psy gave it a name but I don't remember. It has to do with your brain not awake but your eyes are open and you are aware.

never noticed sleep paralysis though, but I know my friend's boyfriend has them and it scares the crap out of him

3. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Sleep paralysis is terrifying I think someone is there chocking me when I wake I am on my back and my hands are resting on my neck. You fight to wake up sometimes having false moments when you think you have but haven't all the while fighting for breathe.. I find I have to sleep on my side and also the less sleep I have the more likely it is to trigger it

4. thannis

thannis Active Member

What is it like o have a lucid dream? I heard those can be amazing sometimes

5. CD110

CD110 Well-Known Member

I had my first LD as a child, it helped me overcome a series of recurring nightmares. I only wish my more recent LDs (which were done intentionally) were as useful, because once I'm lucid, all I can normally think of is the ''one thing''. If anything, I've only gotten good at summoning people to do the ''one thing'' with, lol. Overall, they feel vivid. One thing I find striking is that the rules for your normal senses don't apply, so I have perfect eyesight in the dream, everything looks crystal-clear compared to my waking eyesight. It's too bad they only last two minutes, tops, for me. Usually I get too excited and they end in like 20-30 seconds but apparently there are methods to prolong them.

As for how I had LDs, it was usually a WILD, but I've had some random ones as well. I've had sleep paralysis upon waking up, but I was ready for it and knew that it was hallucinations so it was like a virtual-reality horror movie. One time I saw a monster at the edge of my vision peering at me, another time I thought I saw something creeping out of a box in my room.

6. thannis

thannis Active Member

@CD110 You had them intentionally? how do you do it?

7. CD110

CD110 Well-Known Member

As I recall, most of the intentional LDs happened late in a 7-8 hour sleep. I had an alarm clock next to me, which would go off every 20-30m after the first 4 hours but the idea was to learn to wake up frequently, on my own, and lie perfectly still. Sometimes there would be a sort of buzzing sensation that I could focus on, and intensify. If I pulled this off without distractions, it would end in a bang and I'd find myself in my room, in a lucid dream. I've also had the sensation after about 90 minutes of lying in bed not being able to fall asleep. But that's just what has worked for me in the past. There are other WILD techniques you could try, and just having LDs on the mind frequently during the day increases the chance or getting random ones without effort.

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/wake-induced-lucid-dreams.html

8. thannis

thannis Active Member

Do you have that out of body thingy when you do it? And do you control when you wake up?

9. CD110

CD110 Well-Known Member

I don't think I've had a OOBE, though I wake up in my room in the dreamworld when I WILD. It looks all wrong, of course, many differences from my RL room. Out of 20+ LDs, only 1 or 2 have led to sleep paralysis after waking up.

10. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

many times.

11. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

About a year or so back I had about 3 within a short space of time, but I woke up soon after gaining control... Thing is, was it actually a lucid dream? Or was it a dream where I dreamt I was lucid? Who knows!

12. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Sleep paralysis is horrible; it's happened to me a few times. It's where you're partially awake but unable to move; I can feel myself trying to move in my head, but my arms and legs won't move at all. It literally only lasts a few seconds, but it feels like minutes. Like Perfect Melancholy said, it happens to me more if I'm laying on my back, but I have no idea why.

13. JV3

JV3 Well-Known Member

I used to deal with pretty severe sleep paralysis for several years. It's definitely not something you get used to as every time it happened was just as scary as the first. I did a little research and some of my own trial and error to deal with the problem, and I found a couple of things that worked for me. One was I started using a second pillow on top of the one I was already using, and then I would slant both of those pillows to where, even if I laid on my back, that my head was tilted up. Another thing I did was start using a humidifier. These two things combined made an enormous difference to me. I went from dealing with a sleep paralysis attack 3-4 times a week to only having one every 2-3 months.

Also, I've had lucid dreams before. They're pretty wild. I had never had one until about 4 years ago, but since then I have one every couple of months.

14. CD110

CD110 Well-Known Member

Yes, I've had both SP lying on my back. Feels like you're trying to move at 1/100 the normal speed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.