just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by xxicedragonxx, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxicedragonxx

xxicedragonxx Well-Known Member

i dont know what to do. i went to the psychiatrist... well was supposed to be but i got the nurse practitioner instead.

i was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, but i do not think this is the correct diagnosis. i do not have extreme mania, and my mood swings are always situational. i never have mood swings for no reason. i took ap psych in high school, so i know much about disorders and symptoms. i think i am borderline, but i do not know what to say to this lady. do i go in and say look lady the meds you gave me are depressing me more and i think your diagnosis is wrong? she will just deny the error and keep medicating me up. they put me on anti seizure meds. i get sick within a half hour of taking them and i have been depressed since i started my medications. i am also on welbutrin. i thought i was supposed to feel better, not worse.

what should i do?
  2. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

What if you give it a couple of weeks for the side effects to wear off and try talking to the Dr./ therapist... ?

I don't know alot about bipolar, but if the meds don't help with the mood swings, you should know in a couple of weeks - then if you drop it, you won't be left wondering if it "might have" worked, you will know you gave it a chance.
  3. xxicedragonxx

but thats just it... i dont think im bipolar... borderline fits a lot better and makes a lot more sense.

my meds are making me more depressed... thats not a side effect thats a problem... and i work all day monday and the lady is only in mon and fri. i dunno... i just want to be normal
  4. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

I'm so sorry you feel this bad - Hope I didn't add to the rotten feeling. It would certainly be nice to feel "normal" , Don't know what it feels like....

Hang in there :hug:
  5. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Borderlines have mood swings too... often much quicker cycles though not as polarised as bipolar. Some anti-seizure meds (eg lithium, sodium valproate) are also used as mood stabilisers which might be why they've been prescribed. I would say that if you're not happy then you've every right to question both the diagnosis and the medication you've been prescribed... ask how they've come to their diagnosis. You can also ask for a second opinion if you're not happy.
  6. xxicedragonxx

yeah.. see bipolar mood swings are characterized over periods of time..mine are day to day or even hour to hour and usually triggered by my ex or by something small. and i just dont have mania... extreme anger... yes... but not your typical mania.

uh... i dont know... i dont want more doctors... i saw my ex tonight so i feel a little better i guess. not happy... but more at peace. shes taken almost every med known for depression and bipolar... since she was like 14. she talked to me about it and said it was normal.. and that she felt the same taking what i am... so i guess i dont feel as hopeless..
  7. endlessskies58

endlessskies58 Well-Known Member

hey love!

sounds like you should talk to your therapist. if you are unsure then you need to question them until you know either they are right or you are right. asking questions and getting answers are the best way to recover from something. especially if you are paying for her help, get the most out of your buck.

you need to understand too that she is a professional and though you may know a lot about disorders... she most likely knows a lot more.

just make sure to do a lot of communication because that is the best thing to do in any situation.

and i know you just went through a rough spot so maybe the meds aren't working like they should because you are very stressed... i've been able to completely sober up from any drug i'm on or alcohol simply with a mindset. maybe you should relax and like the others have said wait a little while. if you don't think they will work then it will probably be harder for them to take affect.

and to tell you something, you are normal. do not think you aren't unless you don't want to be. you just have some problems right now like everyone does. believe me i understand. everyone goes through rough spots in their lives.

i hope you feel better love. things will get better :)

8. kmjohnson7

kmjohnson7 Member

Hey! I was misdiagnosed with Bipolar until they changed it to Borderline. But the important thing is that the medication is similar. What I mean is that for Borderline, there is no definite medicines that work for everyone. Instead, the doctor may pull from different psychiatric drugs and make a mix. For instance, I'm on a seizure medicine (Tegretol) for the mood-stabilizing aspect. I don't have seizures. Then I'm on a anti-psychotic (although I don't consider myself to be psychotic) and lastly an anti-depressant. Try out the drugs because some have short term side effects (like nausea) but then others are more long term (a couple made me lactate- naaasssttttyyyyy). I got off those ones right away of course. Good luck with it! :eek:)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.