Just don't know what to do...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by empty101, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. empty101

empty101 Well-Known Member

I'm a young guy in university but I feel so lost.
    I used to be very social but over time I have become a more solitary person. I need a girl to bond(physically but not sexually) with but don't know where to start or what to say anymore. I really need someone special in my life :( This is my first problem :(

My second is that I don't know what to do with my life. I've never had a real job and I'm coming out of 2nd year. I want a good job but don't know exactly what I want or even where to start. I've never been able to find a solid interest. Things I get into (eg. learning guitar) always seem to fade away. I'm sick of something before I have a chance to climb the ladder.

I feel like I'm at 0. No real friends, I don't have a good bond with my family (not sure I want one) and see no future. I don't really know who I am or what I want.

What can I do?
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

I'm sorry to read you are feeling so low at the moment. There will be plenty of people here to listen as you work it all out. FWIW, it took me ages to figure out what I wanted to do, career-wise. I tried a bunch of things until I found the thing I loved, photography, at age 35.

You won't always feel this way, and it does get better

3. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

University can be a very lonely place, it isn't automatically the social place most people seem to think it is. Have you joined any clubs or societies where you might make new friends, male & female?
    All uni's have student counsellors, have you thought about seeing one of them so you can talk things through?

You have got to university, thats just the fist step in your future path and as Catherine says....
    It's not at all unusual, not to know what career path you want to follow at this stage.
  4. empty101

empty101 Well-Known Member

Thanks for responding...

Ah I hope I don't have to wait another 15 years to find out what I want to do... but I'm glad you eventually did. I see so many adults in the suburb where I grew up who just can't be happy with their careers. I figure the majority of people never end up doing what they like.

I've been thinking of joining an outdoor club or getting into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu classes. I'm very skinny though I'm kinda starting to train myself and workout for both of them.
    I also considered joining the army/navy/airforce reserve. I figured the physical and mental challenge of getting into it might boost my self-esteem and help me with that personal growth stuff. It'll be good experience and I can always fall back on that I guess. It would be like my summer job.

I'm worried I won't make friends or will end up not enjoying myself in all 3 of the mentioned above.

off to bed... goodnight
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2008
  5. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Hi empty. When I was finishing my university studies, I too felt like you do. I didn't know what to do or where to go from there. My original plan was to become a doctor or a dentist, but my GPA was too low to be admitted. I spent a year not knowing what to do. Then I decided to become a teacher and it was the best decision that I made. I love my job, because I can help students and it feels so good to be able to do that.
  6. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Joining a club is a good idea. Gets you out there and among people.

For alot of people it takes time to find what it is that they want to do. They often go through many interests and hobbies before finding something which they feel is perfect for them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.