Just got fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBLA

The biggest loser ever to live.
Well, just got a call today from HR stating that I'm terminated from the company after 11 months there. Its because of an extremely stupid mistake that I made, so its all my fault. Its the first time I've been fired, now I know how it feels. It wasn't a great job anyways, but with my existing depression, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. :sad:

With my long-term depression and anxiety, I already have low motivation, drive, energy, etc. I lack goals, dreams, a real reason to exist on this planet, just mooching off of my parents and their goodwill. For instance, my brother who is three years younger than me is already going to start graduate school this fall but I may never do that. I'm a pessimist at heart. How would finding a new job be like now that I have a bad record from my previous employer? Its too bad I also won't get severance pay, unemployment benefits, etc. Its only been 30 minutes since I got that dreadful call. Maybe I just need to wait it out a bit. Sigh....

I guess I have to take it as positively as possible, a chance for a bit of a vacation at least. I had vacation hours allotted but they wouldn't approve it until at least late this year. Gotta think of the positives, the positives.....god, I feel like I'm totally screwed! I feel more like dying than usual! I could really do with a cheerful, positive attitude right about now, which is my exact opposite personality! :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

Antiquities Friend
Staff Alumni
Being sacked is never fun, but it usually happens at least once in a working peeps life, so you are not alone.
Take stock and then look round for something else.
If the law is the same as in the UK, employers aren't actually allowed to give a bad reference, but if at all worried when going for an interview, I always find honesty is the best policy and saying "I was sacked because I made a stupid mistake" should at least earn you brownie points for honesty.
Of course you could do what most people do and say "the job sucked, I left" :laugh:
Hope all goes well, but take a little time for yourself before jumping back in.

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
:hug: I'm sorry to hear your news. Like most experiences of "loss" (person, job, whatever), you will feel different things as you work your mind around it.

I think it's actually a positive attitude to acknowledge that maybe it wasn't the greatest job (so a loss, but now you might get a better job), and also now you get a bit of time off. Perhaps, after a week or so, you will be able to see that this can be a new start for you...a chance to think about what jobs you would like to do and figure out how to find that sort of job.

If there are government agencies that run career exploration and job search workshops for the unemployed, perhaps you could sign up for them. They provide tips, support and direction for the process of seeking work.

Wishing you all the best...

Madam Mim

I'm so sorry to hear this and can't imagine how awful you must be feeling. You have to allow yourself time to get over the shock and try to stabilise yourself, so the depression doesn't take over completely.

You've already noticed that there are positives in this situation; your job wasn't great, so now you can find one that is, and you have time off now to vacation (just don't spend money you don't have, it'll add to the stress!). There are probably more positives too, once you think about it.

The important thing to do once you've calmed down is work out expenses; can you afford to live, apply for benefits (if applicable), cut down on luxuries, etc. Then start looking for your perfect job. I know that makes it sound simple when it's anything but, but if you keep your eyes on the goal (a fab job you love), it'll be easier. You can get through this.

Mim

TheBLA

Thank you all for your responses. Financially, I am in good shape. I have plenty of money in the bank and I also live with my parents who give me complete support. I am lucky currently to pay for very few required living expenses such as rent, insurance, etc.

But I do feel the lack of pride in losing a job and being less independent (not that I am much independent to begin with!). I also know its not prideful to live with your parents, even though many do especially in this economy. But I also do because I am weak and vulnerable. I'm afraid my dad will keep pestering me for being unemployed. He kept bothering me after graduating from college to get a job which I managed to get this two months later and was left alone.

Yes, I really did not like my job working in a call center. I especially think its not a good job for those who are "mentally weak" and suffering from depression. You put up with irate, upset customers and then also have to deal with the demands of management, get your customers to upgrade to a new device, make sure you get good after-call surveys, etc. Even though I disliked this job, I still think it kept me busy and preventing me from getting more depressed if I just stay at home doing nothing with my pathetic life.

I do hope by being fired because of a very bad action, I won't have a hard time finding another job, that they will ruin my chances by speaking to future employers. I hope my whole life hasn't been jeopardized by one stupid mistake I wish I could go back in time and erase.

Rahul

In my experience of having interviewed hundreds of people for different positions, honesty really is the best policy. For your future interviews, just be honest. There is a way to be honest which allows you to admit your mistake but also to highlight how you've grown from that mistake (if you follow me).

So, if someone was asking my work history, I would say that I was let go from x company because I made a judgement error but that i've learned from this instance that in the future I would handle such a situation "this" way.
or something to that effect.

If I get calls from prospective employers for references I will only give the dates of employment, wages, and whether I'd rehire them or not. Thats it and I won't do it over the phone, I rather a paper trail. But thats just me.

Don't ever put down your previous employer/s in an interview and when you start interviewing/looking for work, its helpful to do your research before the interviews so you are prepared with some questions.

Use this time to evaluate yourself, think about what would make you happy through work. Do you prefer to work with others or alone? Dealing with the public or not? With people or animals? With computers or no technology? etc. I'm unsure what you graduated from college with - but explore those types of avenues. Start making a list of your ideal job, what it would entail, where it would be etc.

I know its hard to kind of start over, you'll be just fine. Don't get down on yourself, we all do things we regret. This will not mess your life up, its just a bump in the road.

Good luck, take care.

and just to edit to say that in the meantime see if you can volunteer anywhere in some area that interests you. This will help on your resume/cv as it shows you kept busy and community service (if nothing else) is a great thing.

gakky1

I think you'll be okay too Rahul, not just saying that but after reading both your posts it's true you're out of a job which is not a good feeling but seems as though you have quite a few positives about yourself. You're young, have a college degree, some money saved up, lot of out of work peolpe don't have those things so guess in one way you could be a lot worse off too.
You mentioned about not liking the call center job, sure with a degree you'll end up getting something better down the road, you didn't mention it but what did you get your degree in?

TheBLA

I received a degree in IT. Unfortunately, I have forgotten much of the subject matter. I would have to relearn much of it. At least I have plenty of time to do that now.

I feel that my offense was so bad, that I would have a hard time finding a decent job ever again. I leaked confidential information to blog sites, knowing full well the consequences of my actions. I did it because I felt it wasn't THAT confidential, ie. information about an upcoming cell phone to be launched which many also had some information about. My idea of confidential was things like financial information, social security and credit card numbers, etc. NOW I feel that you guys will say I WON'T be okay, now that you know what I did. :sad:

This is why I am so scared of the future. What will my future employers think of hiring me and afraid I would do the same thing again, to leak their confidential information? I certainly will never do such a stupid thing as long as I live, but they don't know that. I really don't want to sabotage the rest of my life. :depressed

Last edited by a moderator:

Pickett

I've been fired several times and it's never fun. Right now I'm not working and need to get well enough so I can return to work. Hang in there. As long as you try to be confident at the interview it will gain you points. Usually everyone has been fired at least once.

The confidence thing is really something that has taken me a long time to develop. I get better with it as time goes on. Most employers really like the upbeat, outgoing people but if you're a little uptight and a hard worker they like that too in some cases. Just depends on the job.

All I know is that it takes a lot of practice. It can be very discouraging at times. At least you stayed at your last job for almost a year. A bunch of people are unemployed now too, and your parents should be supportive.

Pickett

This is why I am so scared of the future. What will my future employers think of hiring me and afraid I would do the same thing again? I certainly will never do such a stupid thing as long as I live, but they don't know that. I really don't want to sabotage the rest of my life. :nervous
This isn't going to sabotage the rest of your life. Trust me. There are much worse things you could do... um... like being drunk and getting into a serious accident....:unsure: ...Future employers should be pretty understanding I would think but I wouldn't leave your employer's number on any applications. Where it says "Reason for leaving" put "will explain at interview." Best advice I can give.

As I'm sure you know, the information technology world is constantly changing. Perhaps you could use this time to get a certification in an area of IT you enjoy. This will help you now while taking your online certification course, get your father off your back and most importantly allow you to focus your job search to your choose area of new expertise. Just one mans advice? Good luck!!!

TheBLA

As I'm sure you know, the information technology world is constantly changing. Perhaps you could use this time to get a certification in an area of IT you enjoy. This will help you now while taking your online certification course, get your father off your back and most importantly allow you to focus your job search to your choose area of new expertise. Just one mans advice? Good luck!!!
Thanks, I have already planned to get one certification by early September, starting to study for it now. From then to early November, I am going on vacation outside the country, already booked the ticket and then to look for a new job.

I just can't get off my mind that no matter how qualified I may be, that my next prospective employer will always reject me because of getting fired over leaking information. Its a mistake that was stupid, I will never repeat it, but I don't want it to come back and bite me in the butt! That is what I am really afraid of right now, and I wish I could have some reassurance over it. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation, and other people have survived and moved on, but still.... :unsure:

Madam Mim

Thanks, I have already planned to get one certification by early September, starting to study for it now. From then to early November, I am going on vacation outside the country, already booked the ticket and then to look for a new job.
Sounds like a brilliant plan to me. With regards to prospective employers, as has been said, honesty will be your best policy. I think as long as you make sure they know that you have learned from your mistake and regret it and that you care about your work, it won't be a problem.

Personally, I feel that your previous employer was at fault as well in this case. It appears to me that they had not make explicitly clear to you what should be considered confidential information. I'm sure it was in some memo at some point, which is what they would say if you called them on it, but it obviously hadn't been made clear enough. As you say, you'd never share true confidential stuff, like individuals' personal details and financial stuff, so you can show potential employers that you understand confidentiality, it's just up to them to advise what they don't want shared. Don't beat yourself up too much, people have been fired for more stupid things.

Mim

TheBLA

Shortly after I got fired, I applied for unemployment benefits to get some income before I start a new job. I just found out my claim was denied due to myself getting fired. That's disheartening news. :sad:

And I am sensitive and a pessimist, so bad news like this hits me harder than it may most. Ugh, its a punch to the gut. I wish I could shrug off bad news like some optimists out there. Now I am REALLY worried that if I was denied unemployment benefits because I was fired, I'll never be able to get a decent job again because I was fired from this last job "for cause". I'm really worried and scared.

My dad keeps telling me I will get another job. But it could just be words to cheer me up. He wouldn't say "Oh sorry, you are going to be unemployed your whole life. You will never get a respectable job ever again and are going to starve to death.". I know brooding over this won't help any, but still.... :sad:

Madam Mim

I can imagine what a blow it was to be denied unemployment benefit. I had the same thing after I left uni, because I'd 'voluntarily put myself in that position'. It's just a way of them getting out of paying you, so please don't worry that your potential employers will feel the same.

Even if your father is just saying that to cheer you up, I feel no such obligation, and I still think you'll find another job. It's clear from this thread that you've already learned so much from this.

My advice now is this: apply for loads of jobs, now, even though you don't want them. Apply for anything and everything, even stupid things, because then you're sure to get at least a couple of interviews, which you can use to practice. Then you'll learn how to approach the whole issue and how people react to it, before you start applying for jobs you actually want. And if you get offered any of these jobs, you can feel good and graciously turn them down anyway. I hope I've explained myself properly there, it's hard to think tonight.

Mim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00