"Just keep looking."

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Wallace, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Wallace

Wallace Active Member

This is an open letter to everyone who has told me, "Just keep looking, you'all find a job eventually."

Fuck you. Seriously.

I've been looking for a year now. No one will hire someone without experience, and I need a job in the first place to get experience. When I ask recruiters how to escape this catch-22, they have no answer. Now I have a gap on my resume. I become less employable every day.

Everything I sacrificed, my health, my money, my family... All for nothing.

Some days, I really don't think things are going to get better. I'm tired of trying.

BitterandNumb likes this.
  2. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Yeah feel you about that. Ive known people with masters, bachelors, that couldn't even land a job in their career feild it just sucks for everyone but you're right it sucks.

What were you trying to get into btw?

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi, Wallace. I know it's tough out there, especially for people who are just beginning their careers. How frustrated you must feel!

I don't know what your field is, where you live, or what the general job market is like in your field is overall. Those are factors. in finding employment.

Have you looked far away as well as locally where you live now?

To get experience in your field: Some companies or organizations offer "internships" (low or no pay). Or maybe you could find a volunteer project that uses your skills and knowledge and you can add that to your résumé.

To reduce the impact of the "résumé gap": Some employers are impressed if a job applicant is filling his/her "gap" time with "a job - even unrelated to the field." Some employers feel it shows the person is a fighter and hard worker - the kind of person they might want on their team.

These are not "ideal" solutions. I know that. And I'm not saying they are even "the Answer" - they are just ideas you might consider. I hope you find a great job soon! Keep us posted. :)

Frances M and Thauoy like this.
  4. Wallace

Wallace Active Member

I have a PhD in biology, and I'm a registered patent agent. I'm trying to go into patent law. I have considered moving, though I would need some help with that, seeing as how I'm broke. I'm currently working as searcher for some online firm, and not getting paid for it. SO yeah, doing everything right, still not getting anything for it.

DrownedFishOnFire likes this.
  5. same me,mine has been 6 months i applied online,applied offline talked to several people no luck.when i did get a job it was some commission pay bullsh*t,that didnt make pay.I have all the talent in computers i know graphics,html,etc yet i cant get a job and yeah im tired of trying over and over.And by now i think my ssn has been applied to over thousands of jobs.F*ck this sh*T!!

6. DrownedFishOnFire

that's what it is....tooooo over qualified for entry level jobs and those job sites have people who are going thru applications feel threatened that people with grad degrees are going to take over their jobs or feel they wont stay long enough to justify the job training.

People don't get it at all! But yet I'm only with Bachelors now and have been putting off grad school for a decade now and am at the point of my life that I need to change and try for a masters to get a better paying job and have seen my friends struggle so its off putting for me to leave my job to pursue the masters and end up jobless for several years

7. Wallace

Wallace Active Member

I want to give up, I really do. I'm tired of the universe sending me these messages that I'm worthless.

8. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Don't listen to the universe Wallace. It lies! You are not worthless. I have been through 5 lay offs in my life. The last one when I was 62 years old. I did find something. Pay sucks, job sucks, but it pays the bills. Have you looked outside your field for work? I know that sounds like a miserable idea, but it may be necessary for now. I have to assume you have tried employment agencies, networking and Linked In. Just don't give up on trying.

DrownedFishOnFire likes this.
  9. Wallace

Wallace Active Member

I've looked outside my field and then some. It's hard to shake off the stigma that comes with being a PhD. Everyone thinks of you as a temporarily inconvenienced scientist. No one will hire me outside of the field, or even as a tech in the field, simply because they think I will jump ship as soon as I get a better offer.

10. Wallace

Wallace Active Member

(Sorry, couldn't find the edit button.)

I tried working with my school's career center. Their advice was to either find a job in retail or call everyone I knew and beg them to let me work for them for free. It's so nice to see those six years of living hell in grad school were time well spent.

11. Wallace

Wallace Active Member

Here's an update. I had a meeting with a small law group that wants to hire me, and they'll have limited contract work available for me in about six to twelve months. Christ.

Aside from the financial burden, which is unpleasant in and of itself, I think what really bugs me is how I feel stuck in neutral. I'm 36 years old. People the same age as me are a decade into their careers, getting married, and having kids. I've got nothing. No job, no money, no one in my life, and still living at home. Frankly, I think being angry and depressed at this situation is a pretty appropriate response.

12. DrownedFishOnFire

Its not their race to run but your own. I am 2 years behind you without a graduate degree, a partner or kids and I am finding out people are ending their jobs or having diasters happen in their lives, deaths, sickness, divorces, legal troubles and so on having to start from stratch

howardTX and Wallace like this.