Just mentally exhausted, tell me what to do.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by HomerJSimpson, Jun 26, 2016.

1. HomerJSimpson

HomerJSimpson New Member

Guys, I have been on antidepressants and anxiety medication for about a year now or close to it. I needed a change so I got a new job. I am making close to 15,000 dollars a year more, but there is a huge problem. It is 12 hr night shifts from 7 pm-7 am and it is just making me mentally exhausted so bad. It is making my depression on my days off even worse because I stay tired so bad all I want to do is sleep. Now for the even worse part on my days off I have started using cocaine just to give myself energy to get myself out of bed and be active. I hate having to use it, but it is either use and be able to get up and function....go exercise , see friends , etc or just lay in bed all day long. I see a psychologist and a psychiatrist, and they even said night work is not normal on the body. I am now just hanging on by a thread, I just sit around and cry.

2. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Homer, I used to work shift work also a long time ago, would switch every 2 weeks from days, swing to night, 10 hour shifts. I sincerely believe it messed me up sleep wise. I also have not had a decent nights sleep in years.
    I then went to work normally I guess, days, but the no good sleep continues. Now I am retired early because of stress issues, no good sleep.
    I guess what I am trying to say is try to hang in there with the sleep. Try to set as normal as possible a time to go to sleep and wake up. Perhaps ask for the day shift if you can. Try to get as much sleep as you can naturally as well as waking up naturally without stimulants etc.
    I have found lack of good sleep has caused depression as well as suicidal thoughts, to much time to think about your situation.
    I am on Prozac which has helped a little with the sleep yet as I have no medical insurance I may not be able to take it much longer.
    I have found sometimes turning on the TV to mindless cartoons helps me sleep as well as trying to keep the room as cool as you are comfortable with.
    I have even found the snoring of my little dog helps me sleep.
    Good luck and hope it you find something that works.

3. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hi Homer, I can relate to the 12hr nightshifts, I did them for 20yrs and my sleep has never returned to normal. My energy is always low since starting them. You may want to try melatonin it does help somewhat. Ideal would be to get back on day shift, but I understand that's not always possible. As for cocaine, that may cause you more problems and take away any extra money you make working nights, I'd advise extreme caution using it. I've never taken it, but did end up with a prescription pain medication problem, it's not easy to quit. Take care and welcome to the forum
    Brian