Just not so sure

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Insignificant, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

well, i've been doing ECT treatments, and have found them to be extremely helpful. there are two ways they can do this. there is a unilateral form which is what they have been doing on me. this form has minimal side effects mostly with memory loss. honestly, i can think of nothing i've forgotten. maybe that sounded strange but just to say i believe my memory is still in tact. well, yesterday i went in to have another treatment done. this time the siezure they are trying to induce didn't come. my brain has gotten use to that form of treatment so it is of no effect anymore. they took the electricity as high as it could go and tried three times. so here is where the choice lies now.

i can either just let it go for the time being and see how i do, or i can try the other form which is called bi lateral. this is definately the more effective form however this method has the greatest effect on memory. i'm afraid to become depressed again so i said lets do the bi lateral, but i'm also afraid of forgetting those precious memories of say my children as they were growing up. so i'm just not so sure what i should do. i was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on what maybe they might do? thanks for listenin' sorry for borin' ya. please take care:smile:

2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I have not experienced this form of treatment, as you know. I will share my thoughts with you though. You have been pleased with the form of treatment thus far. It has helped you a great deal. You mention that the bilateral is even more effective. Memory loss is possible, but you do not know which memories you may lose. The memories of your children growing up may still be there, they may not. You used to like to write. Sit down and write out the memories you hold so dear.They will be in your words, your thoughts. If you should happen to lose them in your mind, they will still be there in writing so they will not be totally lost to you. If the depression comes back and you fall back into the place you were before, you stand to lose a lot more than the memories. The children will lose their mother and all future memories. You will lose those as well, because they will not even have the chance to be made. I do not know what my decision would be if I were in your position, but somehow trading the future for the past does not seem so bad.

3. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

thanks i have considered doing that writing down as many memories as i can. i suppose i should just spend my week doing this before my next scheduled treatment on next friday. it is true i get that depressed again i don't believe i'll make it thru it. it was a miracle i made it thru this last time, but just when i thought they had nothing more up their sleeve they introduce ECT to me. good thing too. thanks for your input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.