• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Just stop it

I struggle with mental illness. I have all of my life. I'm so tired of people believing mental illness is a character flaw. It's not. Mental illnesses are real illnesses just like cancer or diabetes or whatever. They have to be treated for things to improve and sometimes just to maintain oneself enough to not die. Mental illness is not a choice. It's not fair that some people have to go through life dealing with a mental illness and thinking it's a character flaw that they need to work on in order to feel better. I'm sick of others thinking it's acceptable to shame people for something they can not control. It's like saying to a cancer patient, "If you'll just try harder to improve yourself, if you'll just stop attention seeking and whining, you'll be better."

Hello @7seven7 . You stated that wonderfully. Mental illness is no more a character flaw than blindness or deafness. It is a real illness, and needs to be accepted as such. Just because there is no simple physical manifestation, or solution does not mean it is not a real illness. The people who are telling you that are not (at least I hope they are not) doctors of psychology, psychiatry, neurology, or any other branch that is qualified to diagnose and comment on mental illness.

Shaming people for mental illness is no different than racism or trans/homophobia. You cannot control how you are born, or for forms of mental illness that you are not born with, how things affected you physiologically. It angers me greatly that people think mental illness is something we can just "get over", but even more so when their ignorance causes more harm to someone who is already struggling.

I hope you are able to not allow their ignorance affect you or affect how you view yourself. Please do not let their lack of understanding cause you to feel as though you are "bad" or "wrong" or somehow undeserving of the same respect and understanding that everyone else deserves.

Yes, you struggle with mental illness. That does mean that you a flawed person.

Please stay safe and take care

I think a lot of people like to pretend that mental illness doesn't exist to excuse their own lack of empathy, or because they want to justify their own continued bullying.

I'm sorry if you have to deal with someone who is denying the existence of mental illness.

KM76710

KM stands for Kangaroo Manager
SF Supporter
I think a lot of people like to pretend that mental illness doesn't exist to excuse their own lack of empathy, or because they want to justify their own continued bullying.

I'm sorry if you have to deal with someone who is denying the existence of mental illness.
That or else it helps them deny the fact that it also exist in themselves or family or someone else when they would prefer not to face it.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$255.00