Just STOP.

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Raichupuppy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Raichupuppy

Raichupuppy Active Member

Ok this is going to be a long, angry vent.
    I am a taxidermist. I've accepted many years ago that not everyone is going to agree with the career/hobby I have chosen. But that's not entirely what I'm going to scream about in a moment.
    In the taxidermist community, there is "traditional mounts" which are normal mounted animals, like the one seen here.
    http://www.furaffinity.net/view/8746476/ (IMAGE AND MOUNT DOES NOT BELONG TO ME)
    Most taxidermists only see this as taxidermy, being shoulder mounts (like the one seen here) wall hangers (hangable pelts) and full size mounts. (the entire animal is mounted)
    Then there are taxidermists or people who call themselves traditional taxidermists who make what is called a "soft mount".
    http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7653537/ (IMAGE AND MOUNT DOES NOT BELONG TO ME)
    It is a mount that only has a manikin head in the head, and the rest is stuffed with stuffing, like a plush toy. People who refer to them as "plushies" are in my opinion, not serious taxidermists.
    But tonight someone on Taxidermy.net asked how to make a soft mount, and immediatly a fight broke out between 20 people in the comments. "Why don't you start with some REAL taxidermy"
    "You don't know what you're doing, get out"
    Some people, like the "plushidermists" are the ones who fucking ruin it for real taxidermists, there is nothing wrong with soft mounts as long as you don't buy/make them for bragging or a "look what I got!!!" factor. Some people just want a cutie doll to brag about and show off. It ruins it for real taxidermists. I do traditional mounts and I'm looking to do a soft mount rabbit tommorow, does that make me a "deviantart attention *****"? Fuck no. The fact that a group of people could be so harsh, mean, and even immature is mind blowing, and the amount of shame and disappointment I'm feeling this evening is astronomical.
    If you fucking want respect as a taxidermists, spread your wings a little and do a little of everything and you'll be fine. Don't stick to just one branch of taxidermy. Especially if you're a beginner. But on the other hand, don't be a dick about it to people who just asked a simple question, and don't fucking act like you invented the god damn hobby. A bunch of grown-ass adults were insulting eachother and ripping eachothers butts off over a simple question and it sickens me.
    I don't want to be judged for doing something less popular in the eyes of my fellow taxidermists.
    As you can see I have a semi-confusing mixed point of view on this subject, but to wrap up in simple terms, what I'm trying to say is don't stick to soft mounts if you want to be a respected taxidermists, and don't you DARE call them plushies. It's disrespectful to the animal too. And as for traditional taxidermists, don't go judging other people, especially beginners who want to get their feet wet with something easy before diving into solid mounts, which can be VERY challenging. I get it if it's someone who's making soft mounts just to have a dolly to play with, I hate people like that. But if it's someone who likes to try a bit of everything, then who the fuck are you to judge? There is no right or wrong ANYTHING, everything is a matter of opinion and people need to realize that.
    There's a difference between critique and just being rude. And frankly, this goes for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2012
  2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I had a similar thing happen on Chef to Chef.
    Someone mentioned they were going to fry some chuck steak, I pointed out that it would be as tough as leather, as it needs a slow braise and you would think I'd said " let's kill the queen" :eek:hmy:
    The ensuing debacle went on for weeks, so I stopped going to the site.

3. Raichupuppy

Arrogance has to be my biggest pet peeve

4. alyssaswoon

alyssaswoon Well-Known Member

First off I'd like to say, I've always wanted to get into taxidermy, it's interested me since I was a child (my dad is a big hunter so dead animals just don't phase me anymore). The amount of skill and talent it takes to make some of the taxidermy pieces I've seen is amazing, it's art.
    I also totally agree with there being a difference between critique and just being plain mean and disrespectful. I'm an artist myself so I've experienced people online posting hate messages about how bad your piece is just for the sake of being an asshole. Also, there is no "right way" to do art, it's all completely subjective and a great way to express yourself. Not everyone is going to like what you do, but you're not making your art for them, so why send you hate messages? Because they have nothing better to do with their lives.
    Immature people being elitist online really drives me crazy.

5. Raichupuppy

Exactly. Seeing a bunch of 40 year olds act like spoiled freshmen in highschool makes me severely dissapointed and disgusted.