Just threw my KISS albums in the trash

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Hawkins, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkins

Hawkins Member

I was always a little ashamed that I had them in the first place, because I always felt they didn't deserve to be in my rock collection. Now they're gone and they'll never return. Funny that Gene Simmons wants depressed people to kill themselves, then he goes and commits celebrity suicide himself. Now if he'll only die in a car crash or something, he can go "rock and roll all night" in Hell where he belongs. :rockon:

2. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

Just Googled what happened. Wished I wouldn't have. And then he gave a half a**ed apology, apparently, saying that he didn't mean people with depression but alcoholics and addicts. Yeah, alcoholism and addiction are serious mental illness, too. Telling anyone to just kill themselves is never cool, regardless of your stance on the problem.

Personally, I always thought Kiss was kind of overrated.. on a lighter note.

3. GreyCat

GreyCat Well-Known Member

What a muppet!! His band sucks too!! \m/

4. CGMAngel

CGMAngel Well-Known Member

Thank you, Hawkins. Very nicely put.

5. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Would his response would be the same if it were his own wife, son or daughter who struggled with depression and addiction, is what I wonder.

Never been much of a Kiss fan to have anything of Simmons' to boycott. Their music sounds a bit dull, repetitive and common, in my opinion. How's his publishing career coming along since this?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  6. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Just to through another perspective out there. Some people deal with combating the concept of Suicide by literally attacking it. Perhaps in his mind he's enforcing this sort of mentality to his fan base, who may be more inclined to think along the same paths. I don't know his music style or who he is so I can't really verify it, but I don't think it's too far out of the ball park. It's an ok stance, but really basic if not damaging position to express to other people, especially if they are suicidal.

7. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

One thing to keep in mind is that in 1976, Mr. Simmons had no idea that he would actually make public commentary on suicide to get in a controversy in 2014. This kind of backward-in-time projection is very common when we evaluate people, whether they are famous or not. Simmons grew up as an immigrant in New York and became a "self-made man," a factor which influences his views. I suspect he feels that Americans in general, and celebrities in particular, are overprivileged and obsessed with self, and shows this by being even more self-obsessed than all of them.

:dancing2: I don't wish suicide on anyone. Though it's pretty hard to have sympathy for stars who drug themselves to death or commit suicide. You can look at Lindsay Lohan's dozens of convictions for cocaine and and reckless driving and fleeing the police that would have brought years of hard prison time to anyone of lesser wealth; she complained bitterly about injustice over finally having to spend two weeks in jail after a whole decade of this stuff. I don't follow the stars, but you couldn't walk into a Burger King that it wasn't up on the telescreen.

:dancing2: Personally, I never thought KISS was much of a serious rock group anyway, being more a teeny-bopper thing, but able to debut with putting on a somewhat harder edge than earlier groups could, as permissiveness in media gradually came on. So, I never had any vinyl of theirs to toss out..........The standard, however, is economic success, and they're millionaires. So, as persons, they are worthier than I will ever be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.