Just trying to find some help

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by WoodyJames, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodyJames

WoodyJames Member

I've dealt with anxiety my whole life and it has caused me a lot of problems not just social but suicidal as well. Lately I've been having a really hard time dealing with life and I've been disappearing and staying on the streets for no real reason (I have a house and my rent is paid to the end of the year so I have no reason to not be here). There isn't family or anything here that notices I'm missing so it's not an issue of me running from family or people but it also means I don't have someone to help. My anxiety is bad enough that when it comes I either run from life or I try to kill myself. I've desperately tried to find a social anxiety group but for the life of me I can't find anything in my area. So I thought I'd stop here and see if anyone can help. I'm in the North Seattle/Shoreline area and all of the "Seattle" anxiety groups I find meet in Tacoma or Kirkland (far from me and I walk). I also don't have money or insurance so I'd need a free group. So what I need in a group is walking distance from Shoreline WA and free (only ones I've found that fit local/free are bipolar groups that don't help me at all).

2. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Hi Woody James. Glad you are here. I hope you will get to know us. I know you joined in April. So I know you are not new. Still I hope you can really make this your community.

I am going to suggest the same thing I often suggest. I am sure people might be very sick of hearing me say it. United way has lists of help in different areas. Thats how i found help. And believe me what I needed help with was pretty obscure. I did have to call them twice. Because diffeerent people who work there find different listings. Some are more resourceful than others.

Do you think you could call them and explain your situation? There may be free resources for help with the anxiety that you didnt know about. And is within walking distance. When I called them for myself, they gave me the name and phone number for a little known agency of good folks. i called. and someone actucally came to my home to help me. Thats what she does.

Here is the phone number for united way in your area 800-621-4636 or you can just call 211 (same place) tell them that you are wanting to find community resources that might be available for you. you can explain your situation. Thats what they are there for. Tell them what you are looking for. And why. Of course this is just a suggestion. If it feels right to do, then call. But if not thats totally okay. The important thing is that I hope you will keep posting here, And stay safe.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi WJ united way is a good start that flowers gave y ou and also if you call any crisis line they would be able to give you some connections as well Hope you go home now and stay safe as well Talk to your family doctor who will also put some supports in place

4. WoodyJames

WoodyJames Member

I tried calling 211 but they closed 15min early today (by my phones clock). I called the crisis line to see if they could help and they gave me a number but couldn't really tell if it'd get me anywhere. It just so hard for me to call these numbers and ask what I need to.

5. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I am sorry its so hard getting through to 211. Its hard enough just getting the courage to call. I tried to find a phone number for them that was not affiliated with the crisis line. that way they could hopefully be more resourceful about help and resources available. But there is a 24 hour helpline also for crisis

6. WoodyJames

WoodyJames Member

I've called around and really can't find anything. I found a few that require you to pay to attend which just isn't an option for me. The only thing I found in my area for free is a group at the NAMI office but it's not specific for anxiety. It's tomorrow night and they told me I should go so I'm going to try but who knows if I actually will.

7. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I personally hope that you do. Maybe you can meet some other people there who also suffer with anxiety. So many people do. Including myself. I really do hope you can go. If it were me, I would literally have to drag myself there. Sometimes I just have to do that. The part of me that tries to take care of myself drags me there while every other part ( figuratively speaking) is kicking and screaming. I sort of have to override the fear and anxiety, if you know what I mean

8. WoodyJames

WoodyJames Member

I'm one of those people that will walk all the way there and then just walk by and go home. I've done it with everything in my life including potential jobs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.