Just venting.

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by WildCherry, Apr 10, 2016.

1. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I wonder which part of, "I'm visually impaired... I'm blind... I can't see... my eyes don't fucking work," people aren't understanding today.

I've been having a strange issue with my new Laptop, where every few days, my screen reader slows down to a crawl and is barely able to function. The sound it makes when this happens is like none I've ever heard, sort of like it's straight out of a Star Wars movie. My guess is that something is bogging down the memory, and so maybe it needs more Ram; but just for the hell of it, I called the manufacturer and tried to explain what happens. I started the call off by explaining that I'd probably only be able to provide limited information because I'm totally blind, but was just looking for some input on what the cause might be. When I explained the problem, the first question was, "Can you tell me what's on the screen when this happens?" Um... nope, I can't. "OK then, please give us a call back when this happens again so you can verify for us what you see on the screen." Um... again, impossible. I'll see the same thing then that I do now, which is nothing. "Well (at this point, he's getting desperate), when it happens again, please have someone who can see describe the screen for us." Right... the last time it happened was midnight a few days ago. I'm sure the couple across the street wouldn't mind THAT wake-up call! Needless to say, I bought an 8GB stick of Ram and am hoping that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, I'm off to the Geek Squad at BestBuy.

Next issue, fraudulent charges on my credit card, that I wasn't aware of immediately because my statement comes in a format I can't read. I called, again explained that I'm totally blind, and that I need some assistance in dealing with this because I'm not able to handle it the usual way. I also explained that their website is no longer accessible with a screen reader, so I have no way of accessing crucial account information. First thing he asks me to do is read something to him from my account page on their site. Strike One. Next, he'll send me a statement in the mail, and I can circle the charges I wish to dispute and mail it back. Strike Two (no reliable sighted help in the area at the moment). At this point, we're both getting frustrated, and he agrees to circle the charges for me and handle it personally. THANK YOU!!!

Luckily, I don't need vision to know where the peach wine is in my cabinet!
    Fading_Awayy likes this.
  2. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Awe my friend, that has to be so frustrating, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I can't believe how stupid people can be when you've already told them you can't see. I wish I were closer by to assist you. Bless you my sister and I hope you are able to get these issues rectified.
    Big Hugs
    WildCherry likes this.
  3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

*hugs* How frustrating for you. I hope things work out now.
    WildCherry likes this.
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

(big hugs) how stupid can some people be! At least you can find your wine lol My PM box is always open if you need to vent :)
    WildCherry likes this.
  5. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I swear these people don't actually listen - they just have a list of questions to ask and nothing on earth is going to deviate them from their Set Questions! I am sorry you are so frustrated! I don't blame you and I hope the RAM sorts out your screen reader issue.
    WildCherry likes this.
  6. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

Gah, that has to be so frustrating that people just don't listen!

I hope the issues gets solved though!
    WildCherry likes this.
  7. WildCherry

Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to reply!!

What frustrates me more than thinking maybe they don't understand what I'm saying, is knowing they just don't listen and are stuck on that set List of Questions. They pause long enough to give me time to respond, but they go straight back to those damn questions. It's what pushed me into learning all I can about computers and technology, so I could try to avoid calls to customer service. It's something I've had to get used to, and it usually doesn't bother me. But for some reason, today it really pushed me to a level of frustration I'm not used to.

Sending huge hugs to all! Lol oh, and I definitely didn't have any trouble finding the wine. :)
    Jenumbra and Brian777 like this.
  8. MisterBGone

Mother Fuckers! I can never remember if that's one word or two?
    WildCherry likes this.
  9. Brian777

I think a wee drop of that Peach panacea wine is in order :) lol
    WildCherry likes this.
  10. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Wow, that must be super annoying. Some people just don't get it at all. Oh well, at least you have wine...the great reliever when you have to deal with too many idiots, lol.
    WildCherry likes this.
  11. WildCherry

Rofl! MisterBGone, that's a good question. I think it's 2... but I'm not positive. :)

Lol I had a bit more than a wee drop of that wine, but that's okay.
    Witty_Sarcasm and Brian777 like this.
  12. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

That sounds incredibly frustrating. I might suggest you short circuit the system and the at the first strike from now on ask to speak to a manager. Most call center support is not really support - it is somebody reading from a flow chart cue card that tells them exactly what they have to say and based on what you say tells them what line to read next. That is all they are trained to do and have no actual computer expertise as the initial responder - and , more to the point- are not allowed to not use the flow chart in making replies. Asking for a manager to get it to somebody that has some knowledge plus the permission to not follow the flow chart (right down to the "if caller says they cannot describe what happened instruct caller to call back when there is somebody there that can"). The companies use this method so they do not have to pay actual technical support to handle routine calls - but unfortunately none of your calls are routine, and without being able to answer there questions it will never score enough "points" to be transferred to the actual tech people. Just first bad responce ask to speak to a manager- demand if need be- and get yourself out of the loop made for standard calls. ((hugs)) Sorry was such a frustrating day .....
    WildCherry likes this.
  13. Fading_Awayy

Fading_Awayy SF Supporter

Never in my life I came across a customer service that actually serves customers, they hire people who can really push you're buttons and piss you off , hope you laptop get fixed soon *Hugs* :) oh and if you can send me a glass of that wine I wouldn't mind :D xP
    WildCherry likes this.
  14. WildCherry

I'd love to send you a glass of wine... but I can't. :p It's kinda gone, Lol.
    I'm not sure why I didn't ask for a manager. I guess it didn't occur to me because it was my first call to customer service in a really long time. That's going to be one of my first steps the next time I have to make a similar call, to save a lot of frustration (and money on another bottle of wine).
    NYJmpMaster likes this.
  15. Brian777

Hey WildCherry, did you ever get your laptop issue fixed? I know the peach wine helped you lol ......just wondered about the laptop :)
  16. WildCherry

Not yet. I ordered the extra Ram from Amazon, so it should be here tomorrow. Once it gets here, I've got to take it to a friend's, because I have no clue how to install the RAM. Once it's in there, probably toward the end of this week, I'll be able to tell if it's made a difference. For now, the computer works, it just goes into this weird state every so often where the whole system lags and becomes almost unresponsive for a few minutes. Since I can't do much else at the moment, I'm trying to troubleshoot when it happens to see if I can figure anything out.
    Brian777 likes this.
  17. Brian777

Well I hope the extra RAM fixes the problem. Take care and have a great day my friend :) hugs
    WildCherry likes this.
  18. Yoko Odinhart

Yoko Odinhart Well-Known Member

Just had a thought as I read through, are you able to use the print screen function then paste it into paint and save the screen shot? Might be a long shot, but it's better than asking the neighbour or someone you don't have access to. It doesn't need to be reformatted, really. Just need to copy and paste.

How old is the laptop? Age might be an issue, but if it's fairly new, it shouldn't be. Do you know if it completes the automatic updates regularly? Usually if the laptop is up to date, it should run just fine. If it's just running out of space the RAM should help once you're able to install it.

The internet really should be more accessible to the visually impaired. They are people too!! Sorry you have to go through such inconveniences. I hope you get this fixed soon :)
  19. WildCherry

I'm not sure, I've actually never tried to do that so have no idea how. I'll have to see what happens when I try to save it to Paint. I've never opened that program so have no idea what it does, or if it's accessible with a screen reader. But it doesn't hurt to try; I'm always up for learning something new!

The Laptop is only about a month old. It does updates automatically, and I check it periodically to make sure they've been installed. I did a check to make sure all the drivers were updated too, and that seems to be all good. It came with 4GB of Ram, which I thought might be enough; but seeing how much Windows 10, plus Internet Explorer, plus my screen reader all use, it might be the problem.

Thanks so much for your message! :) Getting the Ram installed on Thursday, and then it'll be a waiting game to see what happens.
  20. Yoko Odinhart

Yoko Odinhart Well-Known Member

Ah, I see. Are you able to use a different browser with your screen reader? Internet Explorer is not one of the best browsers out there. I stopped using it ages ago, but when work forces me to use it, I find it is much slower than Fire Fox or Google Chrome. I use Google Chrome as my default browser personally. Google Chrome does tend to bog down when there are a lot of tabs open. It might be hard to gage simply because I don't know how your screen reader works. Don't feel bad about using Internet Explorer. If that's the only browser that works with your screen reader, it's okay. If it is able to work with another browser, it might be worth looking into an alternative.

Seeing as your laptop is only a month old, I find it strange that you're having loading issues. There are a lot of would be, could be things, and it is difficult to pinpoint exactly what's happening when you are unable to see it.

I am curious to know what would help to fix the issue. I can't imagine your frustration.