just weighing in

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Sylvester, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvester

Sylvester Member

I think suicidal thoughts go hand in hand with drugs/alcohol. I use drugs occasionally, and it is always a disaster afterward.
    You would think that the human brain would be hip to learning this after years of negative reinforcement; but it is not always the case.

I am closer to getting out of use - but not close enough to make me a happy person. In fact, more use leads to guilt which leads to more use.
    That is a very expensive way of self-therapy.

And I am commited to trying to cut this nonsense out of my life.

2. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

i've been sober for about six months now. no easy task for sure. i hope you the very best in being able to let this all go. unfortunately it is so damaging to our lives. i wish it weren't, but it is. anyways, please take care and most importantly stay safe.

3. GrimJim

GrimJim Guest

I can only speak from the point of view of misusing alcohol; I've never used any other drugs:

• Yes, we think the consequences of mis-use will be different next time. We "know" the consequences will be just as bad next time though we think they'll magically not lead to the same crap
    • Alcohol only gives us a temporary boost- we get a short euphoria; whereas alcohol is actually a depressant and actually make us feel worse

That's the way- I was only able to stop drinking when I decided exactly that- the only way to stop the bad shit that came with alcohol, was not to drink alcohol! It sounds so ridiculously simple when you say it with hindsight, but it's not easy, for sure. Take it a day at a time Sylvester, even an hour at a time if necessary, but keep that commitment!

4. amicrazy

amicrazy Well-Known Member

i'm right there with you; mostly clean, but not really. not nearly as bad as i have been, but every time i do it i feel like shit afterwards. the only times i ever consider suicide as an option rather than a pipe dream is when i'm on a bad come down. i hope you're able to fully kick the habit soon :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.