Just when my rock crumbles

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Songstress, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Songstress

Songstress Well-Known Member

In 2007 my maternal grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer. She did chemo and she got better. Last year she was diagnosed with bone cancer. I have been living with my grandparents since August 2nd. I've been helping take care of my grandmother, and by helping I mean doing a LOT of stuff around her house and helping her with things most people can easily do for themselves such as getting dress and getting around the house. I've also been going with her to chemo. Today I went with her when she went to see the oncologist (cancer doctor). She'd just had a bone scan and CT scan to check on how the chemo was working. It's not helping anymore.

Her oncologist has her switching to a pill to try and see if that will help, and at the very least to help her get her strength back up so that she might be able to walk around the house again. I'm so scared.

And the worst part of it for me is that I used to have something to throw myself into to help me cope, but now it's not there anymore. Just yesterday the art group I had been in for almost three years I had to leave because I wasn't going to let myself be the next victim of "witch hunts" that never should have happened in the first place. So now t last stable thing in my life is gone and I have no where to turn to help me deal with this.

I'm so scared.

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Of course you are scared, any reasonable person in the world in your position would be. You are in a difficult situation, pouring your energies into the the kind and compassionate caring for a loved one, and lost your best distraction for yourself. Reaching out here may give you some small outlet for your frustrations so please do so, either with posts here, by forum private message to me if you like, or stop by in chat to feel like you are less isolated. Hopefully you will find another real life distraction, maybe check through the community listings in local newspapers to see if any clubs or social groups appeal to you, and certainly if you talk to the oncology department at the hospital they will be able to refer you to a support group for family member caregivers which may be of some benefit. I might suggest if it is at all possible to see if any other friend or family member or even if through medicare you may be able to set up a day every week for respite for yourself when somebody else will be the primary caregiver and you could get a day of less stress....

Thoughts are with you

Ben

3. Songstress

Songstress Well-Known Member

Part of the problem is also that my grandparents quite literally live in the middle of the woods so I can't do anything in town with ease, because I can't get to town that easily. The only thing I can do is stuff on the internet or doing art, but while I've been up here I haven't really been able to focus on anything unless it was for the group, because the group gave me a focus when I otherwise wouldn't have one.
    I feel like I have nothing to hold onto anymore and am just getting passed around to be used by everyone else.