Just Wondering....

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by sinnssykdom, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

I'm just wondering what the steps would be if you were to be honest to say a psychiatrist or counselor (or whoever) and tell them your true feelings about suicide(plan included) about what the steps they most likely would take. Also i'm asking as someone under 18. I know they would tell your parents, but what else would they do? I'm not saying this has to do with me or not i'm just wondering. Would they call your parents and then try and get you to go the hospital or vice versa, or would they just call your parents and get them to keep a close eye? Also say if they wanted you to go the hospital would parents have any say?

ty

2. lost43215

lost43215 Well-Known Member

They assess how likely you are to kill yourself, what your risk level is... if your in immediate threat then they'd contact the police... if not, they'd talk to you. They keep it pretty confident unless like i said your in immediate danger. You can also ask them what they're rules on that are b4 u talk to them. They wont lie to you.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2009
  3. I still believe you medical records are confidential if you go to hospital i think they would try to get you help if you said you were going to kill yourself if you need help call okay worry about what happens later. get help so you can stay with your parents to talk to them call crisis and get some help you need or tell your parents to take you to hospital to get some support in place.

4. sinnssykdom

What happens if you didn't want your parents involved? I know they would obviously find out/tell them eventually but would they be more likely to put you in a hospital that way? So if the police come then you would be involuntary right?

5. lost43215

lost43215 Well-Known Member

I do believe they wont tell your parents even tho your young. Again, it's how likely your going to commit suicide soon. If it's high, they'll let police know and I believe parents, if your in no risk then they just try to help. But again, just have to be upfront and ask them, they arent going to say anything to anyone for just asking.

6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

With you being a minor yes they will tell your parents..If you tell them you are currently suicidal they will admit you for at least 72 hours for obsevation and to talk to a shrink..They will help you set up a support sytem outside of the hospital.. I think you should write down your thoughts and when you go to the hospital let them read it..Having SI is nothing to mess around with..Going voluntarily is better than being Baker Acted.. If you are involuntary you will have to go in front of a judge and when you are ready to be released you have to go in front of a judge again to determin if he thinks you are ready to get out..

7. beforetheworst

beforetheworst Active Member

I haven't really got much more to add except that asking the counsellor/psychologist what their protocols are. If that seems a bit to full on then maybe just pretend you're asking for a friend...so just say "my friend was wondering what would happen if she came and told you that she has a plan/intent [insert other reasons here]"....Then see what they say. Because if you say it that way they can't act on that. So it could even be a good way of telling your counsellor/Dr about how suicidal you are feeling. I've tried it and it's been helpful.

Good luck.

8. sinnssykdom

Thanks. I'm in Canada... would it be different at all? I think our laws regarding that are about the same as USA... but yea.

9. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

I just read the original post. I am 17 and recently told my psychiatrist my old attempts and that I si. I asked her if she would say anything to my mom and she said no so I told her I am suicidal.

She is an adult psychiatrist though so I think that's why it is so confidential.

10. sinnssykdom

Thanks, I am 17 as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.