Justice Sonia Sotomayor

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mordeci, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

Since she just been confirmed to the Supreme Court I thought I would open a thread about it. Personally I think it is a great I like her background and her legal ideology.

2. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Good topic idea.

I have no real issues with her, though I understand her implied bias for minorities is a cause for concern. However in Pappas v. Giuliani she did rule that a police officer had a right to have mailed racist material without getting fired since it was enshrined in the First Amendment.

I think someone like her would do well to shake up the Supreme Court, given her unique background: she's the first Hispanic, third woman, and from impoverished roots. Courts have always been full of individuals with their own personal ideological leanings and it's perfectly normal. As far as credentials go, she has an impressive educational and legal experience.

3. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

4. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Very interesting video; I saw a few more from him. However he failed to mention the court case I noted in which she overturned a decision she deemed to be infringing on a person's 1st Amendment rights, even though the material in question was racist. A racist wouldn't do that.

I simply think she's as ambivalent about racial identity as any of us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.