keep eating junkfood..

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by emily83, Jul 2, 2013.

1. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

can anyone suggest me any methods where i can not just when i'm hungry, go straight for the junk food... but perhaps either find something healthier or hold off until my next proper meal

i'll keep eating junkfood, but what i mean more is how i can reach for other alternatives.. and not just the same thing day in and day out
  2. oval

oval Well-Known Member

if you struggle with self control, a good idea would be to make sure you dont have any junk food in the house, so you simply cant eat it conveniently. then you have to ask yourself, "am i really THIS hungry that im willing to drive somewhere just for a boredom-junk food-fix? do i need it THAT bad?"
    if its out of boredom then the answer will probably be "no".
    a lot of times when you crave something, its your body telling you that it wants certain nutrients. i found a very nice picture for this once with a chart of all the deficits you may have and the corresponding food. but since i cant upload a picture here, ill just write you a quick list.

for example, when you crave chocolate your body is actually lacking magnesium and instead of eating chocolate, you could eat nuts and legumes.
    salty food - chloride - fish, goats milk, celery, kelp
    sweets - chromium, phosphorus, sulfur, tryptophan - broccoli, chicken, liver, collard, greens veggies, turkey, sweet potatoes, nuts, fruit
    oily, fatty foods - calcium - dairy products, sesame seeds, kale, broccoli
    carbohydrates - protein - beans, meat, nuts, eggs

its worth a shot at least. i cant say that its 200% accurate. but i look at this chart when i get cravings and eat accordingly.
    also, when im craving something sweet, i like to eat something sour instead like pickles or sauerkraut, and that fixes my sweet tooth. when you want something salty, have something salty. but go for something like a sandwich instead or a nice soup.

the intense flavor of all the junk food ruins our taste buds for REAL natural food. you have to kind of reteach your taste buds to appreciate the natural flavor of food. and when i do this, i find myself not craving all those intense artificial flavors anymore!

(brushing your teeth, drinking lots of water or chewing gum i find to also be helpful. or cleaning the kitty litter box, if applicable. you wont want to snack after that lol)
  3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Among various ideas you can try to employ to deter from eating junk foods (including the one above to just not have any available), is to stock healthier "quick snack" type items. Buy a can of your favorite nuts, or keep fresh strawberries, black berries, blue berries, raspberries, etc. Trail mix type snacks are usually healthy. Do you have a health food grocery store nearby? They often have those bulk bins with various dried fruits, different nuts, raisins, and etc., that you can stock up on. Pretzels are actually a fairly healthy snack alternative to things like chips and others.

Because I work sitting down at a computer all day, every day, I tend to crave something to snack on constantly. The above types of alternatives is where I turned. I especially enjoy taking a big fat pink grapefruit and cutting it up on a plate into small slices, then eating them good and cold (it's hot here in Texas!). Very healthy and solves the craving.
  4. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I don't know if this could help, but I have this recipe books that make desserts with veggies, so that you can indulge and have a veggie portion at the same a chocolate cake made with green peas and sweet potatoes...or avocado cookies etc...maybe that could help you or make you feel better when you eat something that would be considered junk food?

I use it because I rarely eat veggies so that way I do...
  5. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I do not know much about you, but a suggestion would be:

When your craving i totally understand going to the cupboard and grabbing something, it's easy and a quick fix. This does not need to change. What needs to change is what you and or carer etc buy, this is whats needs fixing, just for a while until you settle into a new routine.

Write a list of all healthy foods you like/eat, go shopping. A good idea is to prepare a couple of small quick meals you like in advance, so when you go to the fridge they are there. Quick snacks.

Try chewing gum.

Plain pop corn (cook yourself) it's low calorie per volume and airy so fills you up, so u can eat a fair bit.

Raw carrots, celery etc.

Enjoy :pop2:
  6. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

What exactly do you eat for your meals? Are you making sure to get enough protein?

Really when it comes to eating you need just throw out your junk food. I recommend walnuts as a great snacking food. Yeah they are not sweet, but they are filling and healthy, they have omega-3 after all. However, the best way to make sure you are not snacking on crap is to not have the crap around. I recommend going through your whole cabinet and tossing all that crap you eat normally and replace it with something healthier.

A small snack here and there is not bad for you. However, what is important is putting the right stuff in you. The best way to do that is to always have the right stuff around.