Keeping real life separate from internet life

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAVE_ME

Hey all. I suppose my question is, how do you go about keeping your real life separate from what goes on in your 'internet life'? The reason I ask is because my flatmates have added me on facebook, and if I accept them then they'll see stuff about me that'll really make me seem lame to them. I've been trying so hard to keep my past in the past and to make a fresh start with them, but it's all coming back to bite me on the ass! And I can't just not add them cause that would seem rude of me.

They also don't know that I'm in a long distance relationship with someone I met online and I'm afraid of what they'll think. Please help me, I'm already enough of a loser as it is, and I can't stand them knowing that too! :(

Tobes

Don't sweat what others think, what you think is all that counts. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

J

jacknife

If you think about it, most of what we say or do online should probably be things we're comfortable with real life acquaintances seeing. Facebook seems pretty harmless.

Why hide your interests or personality traits from others?

You don't need to impress anyone, just be yourself.

Datura

Can you keep certain things on facebook only viewable to you, or certain friends? Delete the fb account if need be.

SAVE_ME

Can you keep certain things on facebook only viewable to you, or certain friends? Delete the fb account if need be.
I'm not sure how to keep certain things viewable to only me...can do that on myspace but on facebook it says either 'everyone, only friends, or friends of friends can view this'. That's the thing, facebook has no fuckin' privacy, and I would delete it but I keep in touch with someone on there who doesn't have myspace or msn or any other means of contacting them.

I'm sorry, if I come off as rude or anything, but if you're embarrassed about being in a long distance relationship that you wouldn't want anyone to know perhaps you shouldn't be in one..

If they can't accept you for who you are they probably aren't really all that great of friends to begin with anyways.

L

Livvvvv

I'm not a huge fan of Facebook but I'm on there and the other day I decided I have the most respect for people who don't give a damn what others think. Every move I make on there I over analyze in case my friends think I'm weird.. but you know.. why does it matter? Just be yourself.
If they're sat analyzing your profile then they are lame. ;)

jameslyons

At the end of the day your flatmates are going to find out about who you are. They're your flatmate. You say you want a fresh start and the good news is you have it! Each day is a new day to behave in whatever way you want, hell each second is.

The good news is the number one person who is most concerned about the way you behave is you! Most other people, as much as they may like you, don't really give a damn. If you do/write/behave in one way they won't then they'd just think to themselves, " That's odd." At the worst they'd make fun of you and say, "Ha ha, you're ridiculous."

There's nothing to be ashamed about having a long distance relationship. The author Franz Kafka, in the 1920's had a long distance relationship in which he met physically with his girlfriend THREE times before making her his fiance and even then, they only saw each other six or so times before marrying. Read the letters of the Romantic poet, John Keats and Fanny Braune -- long distance lovers. Now these lovers were before the internet, literally, millions of people are in long distance relationships and even more couples met each other online.

But the wonderful thing of Facebook or any other social medium is that you're allowed to stand behind yourself. If somebody makes fun of you for what you write you can tell them to kindly bugger off and mind their own business. Besides, you'll say, they're fat (or have a small penis/ giant echoing vagina, etc.)

Hope this helps,

J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00