Kids and fake tattoos...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the grocery store with my daughter today, who is covered in fake tattoos at the moment... Lady in the queue says under her breath to her husband, "what, is she trying to teach the kid to be a godless stripper with a bunch of tattoos?" I damn near died laughing in her face! Then she says to me, "Letting her play with those things is going to teach her that it's okay to mark up her body when she grows up, and she's going to end up stripping and using drugs, you need to teach her some morals".
It took everything in me to not tell her to go to hell and get over herself.

Is this a common feeling? That allowing children to play with fake tattoos will somehow take away values and morals once they become adults???

I honestly wanted to tell the woman off, but held back and just told her to have a nice day, but her second comment really pissed me off.

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
She is just old old old lots of children love to colour on their arms and legs what is the difference a tattoo is a form of art and the child knows it is pretend not real I think the person is just out of touch abit with the times
hugs to you You did good to keep to not play into her ignorance

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
I don't know any kid that hasn't been covered in fake tattoos. Kids love them as they are usually in sweets and the fun is in waiting to see how it comes out like. Kids love colour and it's just something that is cool amongst young kids. It always has been and it always will be. That woman obviously hasn't had kids. Most kids think real tattoos suck anyway as kiddies fake tattoo's are always something like spiderman or cartoon characters etc.

eagles_fan

Tats are just tats. People are just judgemental and refuse to move out of their "tattoos = drug abuse" mindset.

Basically, they're stupid.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Lol! That made me laugh out loud, literally. You weren't in the wrong, she was, IMO. Well done for biting your tongue, some people are so ignorant they aren't worth your time of day.

Lost

Staff Alumni
I went to the grocery store with my daughter today, who is covered in fake tattoos at the moment... Lady in the queue says under her breath to her husband, "what, is she trying to teach the kid to be a godless stripper with a bunch of tattoos?" I damn near died laughing in her face! Then she says to me, "Letting her play with those things is going to teach her that it's okay to mark up her body when she grows up, and she's going to end up stripping and using drugs, you need to teach her some morals".
It took everything in me to not tell her to go to hell and get over herself.

Is this a common feeling? That allowing children to play with fake tattoos will somehow take away values and morals once they become adults???

I honestly wanted to tell the woman off, but held back and just told her to have a nice day, but her second comment really pissed me off.
Don't be pissed off, I'd have laughed my arse off also.

Some people are unfortunately like that yes. I had nasty responses when I told people I was trying to get into the tattooing industry. One guy even called me Satan?!

Its just best not to think about it really and just laugh it off as you did. :laugh:

It made me laugh too, when she made the comment to her husband, but when she made the second remark I wanted to slap the stupid out of her, lol.

I kinda wanted to ask her what to do to my child to turn her into a pretentious bitch, seeing as she would know lmao, but I was good and just let her be :p

Avarice

I used to love fake tattoos when I was a kid and it didn't me into a drug-abusing stripper. I remember one time I put them on all up both my arms right before we went on a holiday to Spain, so as a result when they faded away I had big white blobby shapes all over my arms from where the tattoo's were. It was quite funny. :laugh:

Growing Pains

Well, at least now I know what my sister who's covered in tattoos does in her spare time. I guess she's a godless stripper who, also, does drugs. I don't know where she finds the time for it, what with all the time she spends being a house wife and taking care of her puppy. But if some random, pretentious, woman says it's so... it must be so. :biggrin:

No, but really, I've run into that line of thinking a bit in the past while out with my niece. She, also, happens to be fascinated with fake tattoos. She may only be six, but she's not stupid. She can tell the difference between a real one and a fake one. She likes her little butterfly and puppy ones a lot better than the ones my sister has because they're "cute". Children don't use fake tattoos for the same reasons adults get tattoos. Even trying to compare it is very silly. I think some people don't give children enough credit. Yes, they're young. Yes, they're still learning. But they're not completely stupid human beings that should be shielded from everything until they turn 18.

Wastingecho

That's the kind of person that annoys the hell out of me and I wouldn't be able to resist pushing her buttons - I would have told her that there's nothing wrong with wanting to follow her father into the family business, then waited for her head to explode

Slothbear

I completely forgot about those until now but I used to love putting those on as a kid. I don't think i know anyone who hasn't put them on at some point in their life... I didn't realize anyone viewed those as bad. It's like the same as putting a sticker on your skin(which kids do). People are weird. I would told the person to worry about themselves.

tx915

Ouch, sounds hard to deal with. After I got my last tattoo the kids took markers and gave themselves temp tattoos. They enjoyed it and I got to give them one of those parenting talks about what my tattoos mean to me and the permanence of them. Trying to help them make informed decisions later in life.

Such a stereotype that everyone with tattoos are strippers and drug users. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00