Kids who cut themselves to be "cool"..

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Spikey, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

I don't know if any of you read this, but recently, in Love It! magazine, there was an article about kids who cut themselves to be cool and to fit in. One girl who was interviewed for it said she started cutting herself because a boy in her class at school did it and she wanted him to like her. What does anyone think about this? Personally, I think it's disgusting and wrong that kids of today are doing this not because they are in emotional distress, but because they want to be "cool" and "emo".
    As Jas said, it makes it worse for people who do it out of emotional pain, because nobody takes us seriously.
    I myself have been asked on several occasions (and I've been doing it since I was twelve) if I do it for attention. Why would I do it for attention, has been my reply.
    But now, it seems, kids are doing it because "emo" (which stands for emotional) has seemingly glamourised depression, as has celebrity culture today. I don't think it's fair to blame celebrities, or depressing music, but it's fair to say that it has certainly had a helping hand in this, for example, ten years or so ago, it was a taboo subject. Now pictures of Amy Winehouse, and Lindsay Lohan have surfaced with seemingly self inflicted wounds on themselves. Ten, or twenty years ago, piercings and tattoos were the in thing. But sadly, now, it seems self harm is "in". More and more kids today are cutting themselves, and this article has made it clear that while most of us do it as a way to cope with pain, some people are just doing it to "fit in", etc etc etc.
    Any views on this..??

2. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2008
  3. danni

danni Chat Buddy

-sighs- This thing pissing me off alot, I know people do stuff to fit in like cig to be kool but sh.... I dont see why kids are hurting them like this just to fit in.

4. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

"Emo" kids. :dry: Emo doesn't even mean emotional. It means emotive hardcore, a type of music, I don't understand how people can be a type of music. Of course, then you have the people who say 'emo' is a way of life, or some shit like that, it's ridiculous. But what can you do? :laugh: People are people, and people like to fit in. :dunno:

5. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Well, let's try not to judge these kids too harshly and think about it.

Something must be very wrong in a person's mind for them to feel the need to self-harm simply in order to gain attention from his/her peers. Is that not a form of emotional distress? Someone who feels so insignificant that they feel the need to hurt themselves just to be recognized, and a society in which this is happening, is ill. These kids may not be as "on the edge" as some SHers, but are not exactly the picture of mental health either.

6. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

Good point, Anastasia - but some of these kids are just doing it because boys they like are doing it and they want to be liked by them!! If I can find the magazine, I'll copy the article... will try to rootle it out :) xxxx

7. Testify

Testify Well-Known Member

Some people bully others to be cool, that's far worse.
    It's none of anyone's business if someone wants to harm themself to be cool.

8. Light_In_The_Dark

Light_In_The_Dark Well-Known Member

I have one friend that became "Emo" and he's very close about start harming himself. The only reason is couse his girlfriend does that too. I knew him for years. He doesn't have strong and stable character, meaning that he'll adapt himself, his believes and hobbies to impress someone he likes or wants to become friends. I try to help him but he is too stubborn to see it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2008
  9. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

That's exactly what I'm talking about here... it's a crying shame that your friend may feel/think that he has to do that to impress somebody...

10. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

I think its really sad and sick. I wonder if the kids doing it for attention/become liked know why the people they try to impress do it. I would be insulted if someone started self harming because I did it. I just don't understand the thought process of some people.

11. hammockmonkey

so why do other people cut? it doesn't make sense no matter your reasons.

12. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

I don't cut, but I know self harm became a coping method for me. helped numb a lot of things and send feeling back down below the surface. Its extremely hard to stop, and while Its nothing i'm proud of I have my reasons for doing it.

13. hammockmonkey

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2008
  14. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I've waited before replying because I find this really hard to answer. It literally makes me cringe when I hear of people cutting themselves to be cool. It also makes me angry because it sets off that rolling ball that makes people think all people who cut do so to be cool, for attention etc but that is so not true and it's thoughts/opinions like that which stop people from speaking out.

But, I guess, people have their own ways of crying out because if they're cutting to be cool, then surely, deep down, there is an issue there in itself.

15. Light_In_The_Dark

Light_In_The_Dark Well-Known Member

I have a friend in class that gets self harming totally wrong. he thinks that all self-harmers are emo and that they don't have any reason to self harm. emo's are giving the bad name for self harmers who need help and support from society.

16. Random

Random Well-Known Member

All I know is I did it before I knew there was anything "cool" about it way back in the 80s. All it did was made me more of an outcast than I was when people saw that I'd scratched my arms up. I didn't know any better. I didn't have enough sense to keep it covered up so people basically treated me like I was crazy.

It bothers me that some kids do it just to fit in but it also bothers me that most people think everybody does it just to fit in. There's also a particularly cruel trend that's started where people make jokes about it. Making fun of depressed kids (even if they might just be trying to fit in) isn't funny. And if they weren't depressed before some idiot made a joke out of their pain, they probably will be after.

17. unbearable

unbearable Well-Known Member

They are going to give genuine self harmers an even worse name, instead of trying to break taboos and trying to teach people to understand its going to make a mockery out of the situation.
    its like people who want to be anorexic, since when was being in pain mentally and physically cool?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.