Kind of Embarrassing Question

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Flying Fox, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

Does your depression affect your GI (in terms of constipation and incontinence) , depending on how severe it is? Do you notice any difference with your GI when the depression is severe in comparison to when isn't?

I am having some trouble with my GI and I want to learn whether what's going on with it is directly related to my depression, which has been severe over the past few months, and if I can solve it by switching to an antidepressant that actually does work. Lexapro is no longer effective for me, a few weeks ago I stopped taking it (I take several pills every day and the amount may be rough on the stomach lining). The rate of suicidal thoughts I've been having has dropped significantly, which is a kind of a relief. I don't feel any happier but it's nice not to be entertaining those thoughts all the time.
  2. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Well, it is recoreded that IBS and similar bowel related problems are psychosematic, which means your mental state is whast causing it.

Its not alwasy just mental state, obviously diet can cause IBS or damage to yoru intestines. but it is recorded as a psychosematic thing.

Also if yoru body is tense form stress/depression/worry the muscles used to move and process food, will be tense also, and to pass will be a struggle.

You should talk to your doctor if its really concernign you

Also, in regard to just stoping your medication: If you want to stay on medication that works! instead of just stopping a medication taht doesnt work, you should return to your doctor and say its not working and would like to try a different one, and give your reasons for it not working, in your opinion.

All the best
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2011
  3. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

Oh, thank you for enlightening me and your help *big hug*. I wasn't so sure whether that was the case or not; and it really nice when the cause/source of a condition is known, rather than doing guessing games.

I'll do just that and mention it to my GP and my mum; in comparison to when it I first started taking it not really working. It was near impossible to stay angry or sad in the beginning, and remaining happy was so easy. Bleerg, wouldn't things be much easier if we didn't develop tolerance for medications?

Then again, possibly not in a different light. Still . . . it's nice to dream.
  4. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Absolutely...I will not go into the details, but I truly keep everything in when I do not express myself...J
  5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i find therapy effects me. nausea, the runs, etc. if it's a hard week in therapy. i'm learnign to work around it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.