kind of weird question for the girls

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by VALIS, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

Ok so does anyone else notice a really irritating pattern of hunger based on where you are with your monthly cycles?

During the week/week and a half before my period I am so much more hungry and eat so much more, and such crappy things, and the rest of the month i can stick to my healthy diet. But I swell up horribly during that week both with water retention and food...it's so depressing

like normally i eat twice a day maybe with a snack or something, and excercise, but during that PMS stage I'll eat crackers and all kind of sh*&t because I'm hungry and depressed. Any suggestions or sympathy on this issue??

2. Dragon

Dragon Staff Alumni

I can sympathise, definitely. I get the exact same thing. Odd cravings for midnight snacks (which I usually give in to) followed by piteous 'I feel fat' moments (which are never very well founded). I get odd cravings, too, like for a week I'll randomly eat whole tomatoes. Seriously. Like apples. No suggestions, unfortunately... I just give in to the cravings. I suppose maybe you could try working out or something when you get like that? I hear that exercise is good for cramps, too.

:hug:

3. Nightfall

Nightfall Member

yeah i know what you mean

4. Melmoth the Wanderer

Melmoth the Wanderer Well-Known Member

Yes, I usually go through about the same thing, though my out-of-control hunger is usually only a week before. I think my mother and sister also have similar symptoms, so you are definitely not the only one.

If the symptoms are acute, however, you may have Premenstrual Syndrome (the real PMS, not the jokey "take a Midol and everything will be fine" kind). In this case, you can talk to your doctor--as long as he or she takes it seriously and doesn't brush it off--and possibly go on medication. If you don't want to go on meds for this, however, there are other treatment options.

I'd suggest going on Google and trying to find out how others deal with the symptoms.

Sorry to go on like this. You probably know all this already, I just wanted to make sure that you know you have options.

5. down_and_low

down_and_low Active Member

I get crazy cycles. A week before my period, i literally can't stop eating. I crave carbs, and usually eat a 14" pizza for lunch!
    2 weeks afterwards i have my "not hungry week" where i can eat a grain of rice and be full to bursting.
    2 weeks before, i also have my "bloated" week, where my clothes size goes up by 2 for absolutly no reason. I don't eat any extra food or anything, i just wake up and am literally 2 sizes bigger. Strange....

6. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

Uggh it's horrible!!! I know I walked around today asserting myself like I have bad self-esteem cuz I feel all fat and bloated...makes my depression way, way worse...I just want to cover up and hide... How can this last 2 weeks...it's almost half the time that I'm suffering some sort of female-related distress.

I checked out some online sites like you said, and they recommended birth control pills for the physical symptoms I have (I can't take hormones with the psych meds I'm on)...also said to put complex carbohydrates in my diet (yeah right, like that's great to lose weight.) Also limiting caffeine, stress and alcohol (currently I'm in a school/work state of hell where almost everyday its a pattern of stress-->caffeine-->stress-->alcohol )

the only thing that really seems to make sense for me is the exercise, which I'm doing already. maybe I could try the chaste berry or evening primrose oil they mentioned as well....

sorry for people who go through this also. It makes it so much harder to be a chick and sometimes I think it puts us at a real disadvantage to have chemically unpredictable moods and try to get along in the real world full of stress and demanding schedules where you have to be happy, have to be stable, etc. and then if you tell people what's wrong they're like "oh yeah right, that's a myth," or men who take it as a sign of weakness- how would they like it??

7. NothingThereAllAlong

NothingThereAllAlong Active Member

This is all because your blood sugar drops.

8. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I get what you mean... right before and during I get really really hungry - especially for fruit and veggies... but then after the only thing I want to eat is dairy and carbs.. which is weird but I'm used to it now.

TDM

9. Recovered

Recovered New Member

I'm excactly like this :D lol :)

don't worry OP it's natural to have cravings and have an increased appetite when it's that time of the month!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.