Kind to Our Friends, But Not to Ourselves

curlyq

How do you guys try to improve your body image and work on loving yourselves? I've gained quite a bit of weight over the past few months and today I tried on a pair of pants that were big on me last year, thinking that they at least would fit now, and they were too tight. I honestly have never felt so disgusting. It took everything in me not to just crawl back into bed, and I couldn't stop dwelling on how disgusting I am all day.
But if one of my friends had told me that she gained weight, I absolutely wouldn't judge her!! I would think she was beautiful anyway! Yet now with myself, I feel horrible and gross and I don't even want to go out in public anymore because I hate the way I've let myself become.
How do you overcome this negative self-talk?? :(

Maybe if a friend gave you the same kind of positive feedback that you would give to her it would help. For some reason, hearing something from someone else often sticks with us more that the things that we tell ourselves.

JustCan'tQuit

We must have bought the same pair of pants, LOL. I always wonder why they use fabric that shrinks. ;)

I used to be so skinny, people thought I was anorexic. That's changed these days. But the interesting thing is, I've discovered there *is* no perfect size for me. When one part of me is the right size, another is too fat. If I lose weight, the first part is too skinny. So I've learned that I might as well accept myself whatever way I am and make the best of it. Half-decent physical and mental health mean way more than the scale or a jeans size anyway.

I also remind myself of various women I've known and loved, who happened to come in all shapes and sizes. All that mattered was who they were as people.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
Oh boy, do I wish I knew how to be kind to myself. Its a talent I have never learned. When I can't get a pair of pants on anymore I just get mad and go out and eat something. And NOT a salad. :mad:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00