Klonopin for panic?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by downnout, Mar 5, 2008.

1. downnout

downnout Well-Known Member

I'm on sertraline 100 mg for depression but on top of that I'm taking .5 mg klonopin 3x day for chronic panic attacks. I've heard a lot of people talk about how it's addictive but whenever I push the psychiatrists for bad side-effects they always kind of wave their hand and say if I need it, I need it.

Has anyone else been on klonopin/know anything about the long-term effects?

2. bronwyyn

bronwyyn Well-Known Member

I take klonapin and have had no addiction trouble that I have heard so much about. I only take it for severe panic attacks, which can be up to .5mg three times a day, but is more usually one every other day or so. I have weird reactions to medications, though, so maybe someone else should answer this post as well. I do know that my good friend's boyfriend had an addiction problem with klonapin, but I haven't had any trouble with it.

The doc just tried prescribing me xanax because the klonapin makes me sleepy. She said that the xanax would be better for daytime. I have tried it and it knocks me on my ass! I fall right to sleep on the xanax and wake up feeling like I have a hangover. I'll stick to the klonopin, thank you very much!

3. shockme

shockme Member

as long as you take it as prescribed you should be ok. my psychiatrist told me that if a person takes a potentially addictive med as prescribed they will not become addicted. addiction starts with abusing the med.....i take .5 of klonopin at bedtime. my doc says one pill lasts 20 hours....but i still suffer from anxiety during the day,as well as the "racing " thoughts at night.......

4. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Yes it is addictive. Probably not at the low dose you are on though. That is a VERY low dose.

I was on 4 mg a day. and alot get that.

Kolonopin is not as addictive as like xanax because it is slower acting.

All benzodiazepenes can become addictive though. However, IMO it is worth it. Because they are the ONLY thing that works for anxiety.

The docs will say that SSRIs and crap like buspar can help with anxiety. From my experience, they are full of crap.

5. downnout

downnout Well-Known Member

Thanks!!