Practical Advice Knee pain from running

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi
I started doing from couch to 5k. Listening to the advice and trying to stretch afterwards every time. Up to the end of week 2 - on to start week 3 except that the last 90 second run on Thursday my knee was hurting. It's fine most the time now except it twinges if I climb stairs/bend. I'm following some of the nhs knee exercises for runners - leaving out the ones that require bending knees as that hurts.
Onto my question (at last!) I'm wondering whether to run tomorrow or not. If anyone knows or has some advice I'd appreciate it.
I'm worried about stopping as I'm not the type to start again if I stop though of course anything is possible.
Thanks!

tlaud

Innocent Forever, I was just looking at recent posts and saw this. Oh would I like to help, but really am hesitant on the computer. Here's a story I will share, and you will see a bit more of me. Shortly before I was done with the Army, I sprained a knee ligament when jumping over a ditch - my foot went inside while my knee was straight. So what happened was I sprained a ligament on the outside that helps holds the knee straight. The result was knee pain every time I ran, and more rest was needed, I don't recommend this, but here is what helped -- I strengthened the muscles so they provided more stability, and the ligament had more support and remained more stable.

One major problem recently is that clinics are closed because of the virus. I am not sure if a chat is appropriate, as pain in a joint can be complex. Hope you get better.

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi Inno
Have you tried wrapping it in plain old athletic bandage?
View attachment 32319
Never heard of this. Thanks!!! Will see.
Just wondering, are you wearing proper shoes? Like are they broken in or super old?
I've a couple of skechers. The shoes are older, not so old though, trainers newer but I've worn them a few times. Unless breaking in means more than just a few times.

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Innocent Forever, I was just looking at recent posts and saw this. Oh would I like to help, but really am hesitant on the computer. Here's a story I will share, and you will see a bit more of me. Shortly before I was done with the Army, I sprained a knee ligament when jumping over a ditch - my foot went inside while my knee was straight. So what happened was I sprained a ligament on the outside that helps holds the knee straight. The result was knee pain every time I ran, and more rest was needed, I don't recommend this, but here is what helped -- I strengthened the muscles so they provided more stability, and the ligament had more support and remained more stable.

One major problem recently is that clinics are closed because of the virus. I am not sure if a chat is appropriate, as pain in a joint can be complex. Hope you get better.
Thanks! The nhs advice for running is always to strengthen the other muscles so knees don't get strained. I think!

Rockclimbinggirl

SF climber
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Imho, it's better to give your knee a rest. Your chances of getting back into exercise are much better if you don't injure your knee even more severely.

Once you've had a rest, you might want to try transitioning to something lower impact, like walking or cycling.

Acupuncture could help with the knee pain, but I assume all the clinics are closed.

I might be able to describe an acupressure self-massage, if you can tell me if it's more the outer or inner knee that hurts.

kittykatt

Sorry to hear about the pain that you're having.

You could have the beginnings of arthritis. I would recommend that you see a doctor in order to rule out that possibility as soon as possible.

tlaud

Good morning to all, and I have a bit more info that may help anyone with joint pain - not necessarily what can fix things, but an option to consider.

Here is my analogy to make it more clear. Attach a rope to opposite sides of a room, use a piece of wood like a broom handle in the middle and start shortening the rope by twisting the handle. The rope gets tighter, but the first thing to fail is probably the wall attachment.

That analogy is what typically happens when someone gets pain in a joint where the muscle tendon attaches to the bone. Massage, or do some soft tissue mobilization, and the tension in the tendon will decrease as the muscle lengthens (like loosening up the broom handle). Not a solution to all problems, but is dependent on whether the real problem is in the muscle attached to the tendon, or the tendon itself. Could be other problems, but this is an option.

The photo shows the muscle doesn't go all the way to the knee, but makes the transition to tendons. So that photo hopefully shows how muscle tightening after injury may be a problem. Anyone ever hurt their shoulder and locked in in place at your side with your fist on your belly button? I hope all have a good day.

Attachments

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
You've all been really helpful... I really didn't expect it... thank you!!

Thanks @kittykatt :)

I'm resting it for now - thanks @Butterfly I just hope I don't have to repeat week 2. Or start from scratch for then I'll probably just give up.

And doing some exercises @sinking_ship - not enough! But some. Not squats for they hurt my knee.

That's really helpful @tlaud .if I'm right than it's the capsule that is bothering me.

I won't be wearing my new trainers @Rockclimbinggirl but older shoes. The trainers are a bit tight. I feel like I wasted 70!!!!! But it's too bad.

I'd love to hear @may71 .it's the inner knee. I'm not good at doing all I could, but a bit :)

You've all been so helpful! Thanks....

tlaud

Innocent Forever, I wish you could run some more, so will just ask if you 1) find the exact spot where it hurts, and also if willing, poke along your groin and hamstring muscles fairly hard to see if there is pain up higher, 2) ice it down to address inflammation, 3) and do you limp to decrease pain when walking?

If squats are like a baseball catcher (knees go forward past your toes), please modify. Hang onto something in front so your knees stay over your foot to test that out. You don't have to do any of these things, but the one you will need most is to ice it down to put out the inflammation/pain.

Attachments

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
Hi @Innocent Forever , I have a few questions and maybe a suggestion or two based on my own experience. First, was there anything specific that happened that you noticed that may have triggered the pain? Like stepping on a stone or landing off balance. These or others would indicate a sudden injury and may respond differently from some kind of fatigue from running too much. My advice is not that of a doctor but from my own pain/injuries and people who helped me. I once had extreme tendon knee pain on the outer side. The doctor gave me steroid injections and the pain was gone in a few days. Another time I had I think inner knee pain. My dancer brother suggested alternating 10 or 15 minutes hot and cold compresses. That made the pain go away practically immediately. I rested a few days more. Another time I did something quite stupid. I'm a bit bowlegged. My knees do not touch by about an inch and a half (IDK 3cm?). So I wanted to see if I could make them touch. The pain from that has been with me ever since. At the time they said it was arthritic - maybe I triggered something - no surgery would help. Not sure about that though these days they say knee replacement is my only option. I doubt that you have anything that extreme but please do take good care of your knee now. Personally I'd go with the hot and cold (or at least cold but maybe Google it first) and rest like others have suggested - for a few to several days. If you are concerned that you won't go back to running, I or others here can gently remind you 😁 in a few days and maybe that will help. Then of course if the self help doesn't help, consult with your doctor. (I'm assuming there is no swelling or redness btw).

Last edited:
The ideal thing would be to see an acupuncturist, but that's probably not an option atm. You might want to try massaging the following acupuressure points, in order, to see if it helps.

Spleen 9 (SP9), Spleen 6 (SP6), Kidney 3 (KI3)

Stimulation of a single point can last 30 seconds, 5 minutes, or up to 20 minutes in one minute increments with rests in between

Both sides of the body should be massaged

You'll need look up the point names online to know where they are. http://www.acupuncture.com/education/points/index.htm has some point descriptions and diagrams.

Some of the point descriptions will use the term "finger width" to help identify the point location. A "finger width" here equals the width of the second joint of the thumb. The other four fingers held together equal three "finger widths"

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00