Know Thyself?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Ziggy, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

When I was growing up I thought "Nobody knows me", "Nobody understands me" etc. but I thought I could know and understand myself. So I read up a bit on Philosophy and Psychology so that I could know who I am... but I don't. I think you just create your own reality, your own image of self that isn't really you. Perhaps I should study more or perhaps I'm just looking for something to blame... my parents, my genes, evolution or God. I don't really know, I have reasons for wanting to but I don't know if they are true or not.

When I was 6 it seemed so easy. Someone would ask "Who are you?" and you'd say "My name's Ricky, I go to St. Peters School and I'm going to be an astronaut" but now if someone says "Who are you?" then I don't really know. I read old posts of mine and think "Did I say that, or was it a different 'me' and who was that 'me', do I know him?"

Anyway, time to stop being odd, so the simple question is... can you know yourself, and is it important to try to do so?
  2. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

You cant know yourself 100% but it is important to know as much as you can so you know what you really want from life. You might look back and think how stupid you were, or how limited your understanding was but you still have to act on what you know. It's about as much as anyone can do.
  3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think the more you know yourself, the more you can make choices that will benefit your well being rather than keep you down.
  4. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

Weird. When I read my old posts, I nearly always find myself agreeing with myself. I even find myself to be perceptive and expressive.

It's a bit harder for an adult to answer that kind of question because our lives are more wide-open than when we were kids. There's no automatic sense of belonging from attending a particular school. The sense of identity from doing a particular job can be strong or weak, depending upon the person and the job. And our dreams for the future are less easily attached to a single possibility, because our sense of the future is tempered by adult disappointments and adult measures of the reasonability of various dreams.

Sure, it's possible and desirable. Just realize that even an adult's sense of self can be a bit of a moving target.
  5. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

Perhaps best illustrated when his fellow barbarians asked Conan, What is best in life? To which he replied:

To crush your enemies
    To see them driven before you
    And to hear the lamentation of their women

May we all know ourselves as Conan did.
  6. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it's possible to know yourself 100%. I think it's important to know yourself and to try to understand yourself and your in's and out's.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I guess I can know my opinion about myself, ie. I may think I'm funny, and I can know other peoples opinions about me, ie. they don't laugh at my jokes, and although these two view points don't match you can explain them away, ie, they don't laugh because my sense of humour is too sophisticated for them.

You meet someone, they think they're stupid, you tell them they're not. They think they're useless and you tell them they're not. And then they die and you think "It's a real shame that they never really knew themselves". But can you know? They had their opinions, I had mine. What does it even mean to be stupid, compared to what, Einstein or an ostrich? Maybe her fate is the fate of all of us, living our lives, dying and never knowing who we were. I guess I find that kind of sad.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.