'Knowledge'

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Abacus21, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

What is it?

2. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

The collection of facts that a human has gathered in his/her brain during his/her lifetime I guess.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Most of the things we call facts are simply beliefs or opinions. Does this constitute knowledge? I find it amusing that people say 'this is fact because science has proved it'. All this means is that you believe what the scientists are saying.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2008
  4. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

A human can only learn as much as it is possible for the human mind to absorb, things that we learn that no other human has learned are called discoveries.

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

You have to find out for yourself what it is. It depends on what you value, on what you believe. I don't believe it's relevant. Science shows what's repeatable, which is all the information I really need... Anything else is philosophy.

6. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that it's a word. Although, it could be a duck.
    I'll agree with the first definition offered and say it's a collection of facts and ideas.

7. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

Good question. If we say a 'collection of facts' as the first responder did then we must ask 'What is a fact?'. In the case of the non-biological sciences then it is generally considered to be that which is always the same when repeated.

8. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

it's just a word
    created by people many years ago

what it means is very hard to define.
    i won't attempt to... i'll end up looking very foolish if i do.
    although google says it is: the psychological result of perception and learning and reasoning

9. Random

Random Well-Known Member

It is what you think it is.

10. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

i like that one

11. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

It changes with what you know and how much what you know is tested...big hugs

12. Robald

Robald Active Member

Knowledge is a delusion, one of the greatest human fallacies.

Socrates: "The only thing I know is that I know nothing"

Even that one seems a bit ropey to me. Although to be fair I think that's the idea.

13. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

to say that you know something isn't wrong necessarily (unless it's a lie of course), but maybe just that there is SO much more, an incomprehendable amount of stuff, that we don't know, so whatever we do know seems insignificant.

i could say that everything is a social construct and things that one person sees could be completely different to what another sees. so noone knows anything because knowledge isn't real - it's not a tangable, visable thing, therefore we can't really define it. but post-modernist stuff just annoys me.

14. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Something that we are all born with and then gets mounds of conditioning piled on so that life becomes a constant undoing to get at what we already know.

15. Robald

Robald Active Member

Uncertainty is hope.. knowledge is pain?

16. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Bits of information that have practical application for the holder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.