Lack of care for others

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Krem, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

When I see people sad, in pain, and so on, I don't care. I don't find it amusing, funny, sad, or 'feel their pain'. Distaste, sometimes, but never actually caring one way or the other. I see a person being burned alive? No reaction. See a person stabbed? No reaction. Hear about someone being raped? No reaction. Molested? Murdered? Robbed? Lost someone? No reaction one way or the other. Complete indifference. This has caused some trouble when I'm forced to watch "sad" stories in front of others, and I show no reaction. (One teacher, a few years ago, made us watch an episode of Oprah, I think, where a woman got raped. She was walking home from a party, late at night, wearing.. 'revealing clothes', and then she cries and cries on the show, the rapist got many years of prison, and we're to feel sorry for her. If anything, I feel sorry for him. She was just being stupid. It's like going to a "ghetto", wearing a sign that says "I HATE [Black People, word starts with N]" and then get shot. What did you expect would happen? Anyway, off-topic in the off-topic. I wrote, when reviewing the episode, my opinions of it. She got furious.) I'd believe myself to be some sort of psychopath, were it not that I can care for old people and some animals. Yes, I find them disgusting up close, but, the only times strangers cause emotion in me, other than distaste and annoyance, is when they're old.
    The image of sadness, to me, is the old man, broke, broken, alone, uncared for. Waiting for the bus, perhaps. Just sitting there, with just a few coins to his name, with no-one to talk to, no-one who cares for him. Maybe he had a wife, maybe he didn't. Maybe, when he was young, his love was lost. It's.. touching.
    On the other side, the image of joy, are old people, just sitting there, enjoying being with each other. Nothing sexual, just pure.. kindness, and warmth. No need to say or do anything. I can see it, they're in a park, holding hands, smiling, knowing their days are over, but.. happy.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2010