Lack of meaning in life

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by somebody123, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. somebody123

somebody123 New Member

It seems to me that the outcome of anything we do in life is the same.

You probably know that song "I can't get no satisfaction" (or whatever): it seems to me that this feeling is common to everybody after achieving whatever objective they set for themselves in life. At least, that's how I feel after achieving small objectives in life -- even though people I know seemed to be happier than me when achieving similar results. But I'm making a big supposition here: that the meaning of life is, in a certain way, an objective. I wouldn't want to live a life in which I always have to run after an objective. If that's what life is about, when may I rest -- may I only live pursuing objectives endlessly?

I believe psychologists or people who are concerned with those who have suicidal thoughts make big mistakes when they suppose questions related to the meaning of life in fact mean that who asks them only has an objective that seems unreachable. They may be right if most people mean so, but, it seems like a big bullshit to me. I think that living only to achieve whatsoever objectives isn't a good answer. Most kinds of therapy only seem to me to try to maintain societal cohesion by creating a certain type of behavior that most of the people think it's correct. Therefore, I don't think people care about what I'm asking, but only about how they could change my behavior to make me fit.
  2. 1Lefty

1Lefty Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome. This is a pretty good place to get your own answers with other people trying to figure out their own.

I agree with you on the objectives of most psych doctors (at least the few that I've dealt with) is about getting our thoughts to fit some agreed on norm or standard. When I was in the psych ward after my last attempt, several of the group activities involved using crayons for "art therapy" and singing the most inane songs. Less than half were actually about teaching living skills or crisis survival skills. So next time I'm ready to end it, I should break out the non-permanent markers, or start singing "King of the Road"? That's all that's between me and the end of me? No, the group activities were about encouraging conformity. Participation in groups helped determine how soon you were released. Conform, and go home sooner.

I'm not sure I understand your statements on objectives. I mean, I don't have any objectives, I guess my short term goal is to eat a big bowl of ice cream after I eat supper. I think a lot of people exist without any specific goal or purpose, mainly to get from one day to the next. That's kind of what I got out of that paragraph. Maybe if you continued it, I could catch on. But then I did recently get out of a locked unit and am on all kinds of medication, mainly so that I don't do anything outside the norm.

At least here, you're not going to be judged, but be offered encouragement and support. I care, and I'm glad you're here.
  3. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

some people focus on what the are experiencing in the moment. There is no goal, you are already there.

I think that cognitive behavioral therapy does a lot with this
  4. somebody123

somebody123 New Member

What I mean is that living another day only seems to make sense if there is something that connects us to the future (i. e., objectives), or something that gives meaning to life (even if a lie), otherwise, why should anybody live another day? Anyway, setting objectives doesn't seem to be a good idea to me.

So hedonism is the answer?
  5. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

I don't think that it's hedonism really. You can just sit and be aware of what you are experiencing, cleari your mind, just be
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.