Lamictal or LAMOTRIGINE experience ?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by DrownedFishOnFire, Jan 31, 2014.

1. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Just started first dose of Lamictal for titration towards 100mg in 4 weeks.

I've not taken Meds for over 10 years

Doc wanted me to try mood stabilizer due to my bad experience with all kinds of anti depressants

25mg taken this morning at 9am first hour I was okay, 2nd hour stomach cramped n had diarrhea. 3rd hour intense rage, I snapped and was extra paranoid.

The rest of the day I kept feeling intense anger I've not felt this way since high school when I was on anti depressants and it's the only first freaking day 25mg. Anything in my way or is wrong in my world I get very angry. I wanted to punch all of the glass window on the door so it couldn't shine . Irrational . I wanted to kill anything that moved. Swings on and off all nite long, 1 min impulsively angry next min fine normal calm mood, 1 min later anger again. Right now I'm fine, there's nothing around me right now to be mad about.

I broke my wii u gamepad i just purchased 2hours ago . Its 175 dollars down the freaking drain. I've never damaged anything or hit anything out of anger for the last 10 years since high school. Now freaking great.

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

While I certainly cant say it is not the med, Lamictal is always started on a very low dose and increased over time due to a rare instance of a rash being caused by it that can be severe in a tiny percentage of people. Further, it is a med that is increased in blood levels very slowly over time and and takes a long time to increase in levels or to dissipate. While not impossible as nothing is impossible I would be very very doubtful that a single dose caused any effect at all and look for another cause. Call your Dr or pharmacist and discuss with them , but that is just not the type of reaction one would expect and certainly not after a single dose.

3. DrownedFishOnFire

Yeah it was only 25 mg on very first day. . I was exhausted last nite n slept like a rock for first time in a while. I have never had mood swing like this ever one minute fine n calm next minute mad as hell.

I took 2nd dose this am and cannot handle movements. Cannot handle vibrations ojects make it annoys me like I want to throw out the fridge becuse its making floor shake. Ive already snapped n yelled at people around me in the house Because they wwalk making floor shake. am not like this I just want to crawl in a cave n die

4. DrownedFishOnFire

Headachy n feeling yucky but calm the last 2 hours nothing was bothering me or making me upset. A first since yesterday hope it continues however im tired as heck idk if its the weather thats making me tired.

5. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

i take lamictal for seizures... 200 mg twice a day. yes, it was introduced and increased slowly... also, if/when i accidentally take too much it causes severe nausea, confusion, headaches, dizziness, and sleepiness.... kinda appear to be a sleepy drunk to most people quite honestly. it also gives me the sensation of possibly having a seizure if i take too much and then try to get up and move around. i have never had it affect my mood in the way of anger or etc though... so i'm not quite sure that it would cause that, especially not right away. the symptoms i just named would likely be the ones you would experience if any within the first couple weeks.... but yes, do watch for a rash as that can be fatal if one does develop.

6. DrownedFishOnFire

I have to discontinue this medication woke up with 2 small hives inside my cheek, one side on lip area is painful to the touch like a bad ance and other side is ok not painful but swollen.

Yesterday had Bad headache allday long no pain Meds were helping it was in the back of my neck and head so annoying. Skin started to break out like acne. Last night, triggered my skin picking tendencies.

Mood was slightly better than 1st day but very bad thoughts to the extreme. I don't think like this on the norm not think like this since high school. Vivid images of harming people like daydreams.

Only plus about this med, on the rare stable mood moments I was feeling normal, and slept like a rock nothing woke me up.

Now keeping eye on hives if they get any bigger I'm going to the er. Hope it doesn't as was only 2nd dose yesterday, not yet taken 3rd dose due to hives so quitting it n calling doc tomorrow if not go to the er today if swelling gets worse

7. demuredawn

yea if you are breaking out because of it, i suggest you discontinue use also... but i also suggest contacting your doctor immediately and letting him /her know what is going on ... they will possibly know better what the skin conditions are... and will possibly be able to start you on something that may be better for you

8. demuredawn

9. DrownedFishOnFire

Thanks for info Ill keep eye on the skin. No one will answer the phone so not going to bother calling. Its sunday. Im fine now besides the occasional tingling sensation around lips and tongue im sure its working its way out of my system they would have sent me home. Today was okay irriable w others this am but this atfernoon back to pre self before med started. Im already on allergy med zytrec D twice a day. Idk if its my system that processes things faster. I cannot take the 24 hour zytrec d itll stop working atfer 8 to 12 hours...I gotta take two 12 hour doses 1st dose then 2nd dose8 to 12 hours later depending how bad allergies are. So it could explain the fast reaction.

I had dirrhea since starting the med btw. Not yet gone today so hopefully that stops too. Forgot about bein extremely thirsty yesterday too. Todays alright

10. DrownedFishOnFire

Never going to try mood Meds ever again.