Language Barrier? SF considering a new forum

JmpMster

Owner Emeritus
Last month members signed in from 27 different. For a fairly large percentage of our members English is their second language. While all public posts on SF have always been kept to English, after discussing with a member we are strongly considering adding forum where members can post in the language of their choice for support.

The basic outline would be -

1. It is a single forum- all can choose to post in their in the language of their choice, however it will not be broken down into multiple sub-forums or categories.

2. All are welcome to reply- native language speakers or any other member that wished to use google translate or a similar program to either read threads or offer support. While these programs are far from perfect, they do allow for a general understanding and facilitate communication reasonably well. We want to make the forum more inclusive to speakers of languages other than English, not segregate or exclude anybody from any section.

3. The forum will allows speakers of a particular language to find others that share that language more easily, and therefore offer greater opportunities for social support/friendship as well as our regular peer support for problems. members sharing a native language could more easily reach out to offer support by private message or private chat for example, whereas now it is difficult for members to even identify who might share that language with them.

4. All forum rules apply, and all posts will be moderated using our current staff which cover a variety of languages, translate applications, and reporting by other speakers of the language.

5. User names will still be in standard English Alpha-numeric characters to facilitate search functions by staff and others.

6. If started, this will be a trial basis to determine usefulness and to get an idea on how difficult moderating for safety will be.

7. A primary reason for consideration of this addition is that there many areas simply do not recognize mental health issues or suicide as a legitimate problem drastically reducing any other support options for people from these areas. Most of these areas are non-English speaking.

8. It is already difficult trying to get courage to ask for help and support for many. Doing so in a language that is difficult for them is an extra hurdle that could be eliminated by this forum.

9. If you have ever lived in or visited a place where your language is not the primary language used, even if comfortable using the local language, you quickly realize sometimes it is just nice and more relaxing to be able to talk in your native language.

Please feel share your thoughts about adding a forum for members to use languages other than English in for posts. If you are uncomfortable about posting here feel free to start a thread in Letters to Admin or Ask the staff.

Karmitkurmit

King of the Hedge
SF Supporter
Last month members signed in from 27 different. For a fairly large percentage of our members English is their second language. While all public posts on SF have always been kept to English, after discussing with a member we are strongly considering adding forum where members can post in the language of their choice for support.

The basic outline would be -

1. It is a single forum- all can choose to post in their in the language of their choice, however it will not be broken down into multiple sub-forums or categories.

2. All are welcome to reply- native language speakers or any other member that wished to use google translate or a similar program to either read threads or offer support. While these programs are far from perfect, they do allow for a general understanding and facilitate communication reasonably well. We want to make the forum more inclusive to speakers of languages other than English, not segregate or exclude anybody from any section.

3. The forum will allows speakers of a particular language to find others that share that language more easily, and therefore offer greater opportunities for social support/friendship as well as our regular peer support for problems. members sharing a native language could more easily reach out to offer support by private message or private chat for example, whereas now it is difficult for members to even identify who might share that language with them.

4. All forum rules apply, and all posts will be moderated using our current staff which cover a variety of languages, translate applications, and reporting by other speakers of the language.

5. User names will still be in standard English Alpha-numeric characters to facilitate search functions by staff and others.

6. If started, this will be a trial basis to determine usefulness and to get an idea on how difficult moderating for safety will be.

7. A primary reason for consideration of this addition is that there many areas simply do not recognize mental health issues or suicide as a legitimate problem drastically reducing any other support options for people from these areas. Most of these areas are non-English speaking.

8. It is already difficult trying to get courage to ask for help and support for many. Doing so in a language that is difficult for them is an extra hurdle that could be eliminated by this forum.

9. If you have ever lived in or visited a place where your language is not the primary language used, even if comfortable using the local language, you quickly realize sometimes it is just nice and more relaxing to be able to talk in your native language.

Please feel share your thoughts about adding a forum for members to use languages other than English in for posts. If you are uncomfortable about posting here feel free to start a thread in Letters to Admin or Ask the staff.
Yet another fantastic idea from you. It doesn't affect me directly but I've spoken to a few people on here who I'm sure would feel even more welcome if they were able to use their own language occasionally. It wouldn't surprise me if they also encouraged others they know in their area, who are struggling, to join the site.

It might also be interesting for the English only speakers to start picking up a word or two of another language.

All I would ask: when you say forum, do you mean another site or just another part of this one? It'd be nice if it was another sub category of this site. Sorry, it's probably an obvious answer but I'm not "forum savvy" : )

This site clearly has its finger on the pulse of what is needed. You never cease to amaze me. This is a worldwide community where barriers like age, sex, race and religion just don't exist, and now language!

Nice one guys. X

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
I think this is a great idea..as i am still always amazed where everyone is from...and agree being able to converse in your native tongue would be so beneficial to so many here...

JmpMster

Owner Emeritus
New Forum Support Around the World is open ! It is located in the "You are not Alone" category.

Please feel free to use it and I hope it adds a little extra support and for some of our members. All topic areas allowed anywhere on the forum are suitable for posting in the new forum but in the language most comfortable for the thread starter.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00