1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lavender

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by the masked depressant, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

is it true that having lavender under your pillow helps you sleep?
    i'd love to try this, but i'd like to hear experiences first

2. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

lots of people i know says it works if you use the essential oil on something nearby - but don't have direct skin contact with neat essential oil!

3. ConfusedSilence

ConfusedSilence Well-Known Member

I've heard that it works very well, but my grandmother has a lavender bush and I was always dosed up on sugar as a kid when I went there, so it gets me all mentally hyperactive.

If lavender doesn't work for you, try teabags in your pillow. This may only work for caffeine junkies. :)

4. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

tea bags huh? I might try that. Even if it doesn't help with sleeping it will still leave me with a pillow smelling of chai. I can get on board with that.

5. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

The BEST way to make your actual bed more sleep-able is to 'air' the blankets and pillow.

Change your old sheets - use some freshly washed sheets (change maybe once a month) but I always sleep better when I have aired my main blanket - I only have one 'eiderdown' not with actual down - just a synthetic one.

Even so - if you air the eiderdown and BEAT it whilst its on the washing line - you notice lots of dust escaping - loose fibres but your own skin also - plus various living things so small we cannot see them.

Often as not you find older blankets not washed for a while collect more dust and mites and it makes sleep harder. When you wash and air the eiderdown and beat it - you kill off lots of stuff and get your bed smells not of some fake detergents attempt to smell natural but actual freshly aired blankets - with a faint aroma of the washing up powder - but that real fresh smell and touch - plus the comfort of knowing it is clean.

Some people have allergies to the mites and dust - so freezing the blanket in a freezer for 24 hrs is another way to kill off the baddies before you beat it clean of any surviving eggs.

Lavender will help promote sleep - but be careful you dry the stuff as you do not want any insects or nasties making a nest in your pillow.

Sleep easy.

PS do this treatment to the pillow also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.