Law schools misleading applicants about job and salary prospects (MAY trigger)

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Addendum: Useful tool to check before reading this article.

Alright. So we have the ABA refusing to require law schools to accurately and completely report their employment and starting salary statistics to prospective students, and the Dean at Northeastern (USNWR Ranked 94, which I personally must opine is a Third Tier Toilet, in this economy), saying the critical thinking skills we earn from school outweighs the probability that you could be a JD working at McDonald's. Okay, Dean -- then allow me to pay your tuition with nothing more than critical thinking skills, and get back to me.

Lesson Learned? Attend a Top-30 or higher rated law school, or bust. And even then, be top 10-20% rank in your class, or waste. You know it's bad when even Harvard and Yale Law graduates are jobless, and in six-figure debt to top it off. Godspeed, 1Ls. Godspeed.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2009
  2. GabrielConroy

GabrielConroy Well-Known Member

I was considering law school at one point and this is really revealing. I've pretty much written it off by now but this is definitely a nail in the coffin.
  3. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

Same scenario here. In the UK alot of degrees from 2nd to 3rd tier uni's are of little value, unless its a first class or you impress the employers (they don't filter much like the US). It doesn't worry me too much as hopefully if all goes to plan I'm set to go to a decent uni.

Quite sad how they're misleading students for money though. That sucks, what a competetive world we live in.
  4. Fdt

Fdt Well-Known Member

No surprises there. Suprising (or not so much) how gullable people are into thinking that a degree, of any subject or Uni standard minus the top few Unis in the country, is a ticket to success and job/financial security. If you're not at the acedemical peak of whatever subject you're taking, or an entrepreneurial genius with excellent foresight into future market niches/openings, then you're setting yourself up for a life of mediocrity. Not that you'll live in poverty, but you certainly won't be the high-flyer a lot of Uni students think they're going to be.

Or in the words of Kanye West "Some people graduate but be still stupid".
  5. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

Only more and more students who haven't seen this are going to be misled, its surprising how little research students do into their uni and the job prospects, they only look at the uni website and think 'degree', and the uni's glamourize their courses as much as possible. Its also sad how the bottom uni can charge as much as the top uni when in reality there's a big gap in the worth of degrees, daylight robbery. Somehow people need to be stopped from wasting their time, people have way too much ambition.
  6. OutCaste

OutCaste Well-Known Member

I'm doing my masters in computer science at a 3rd tier university (not sure about the tier though) and I can tell you that even if you have a P.h.D (not from the top 10-15 schools) , it will amount to nothing if you don't have other corporate job skills like "good" personality, cheating, gossiping, bullying, manipulating and other nasty tactics.
  7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Hahaha, I remember the days when I contemplated the value of different degrees, lost wages and tuition vs. earning potential (and I do value learning itself) and relative quality of universities...

Then incoming bipolar disorder! I have now failed out of undergraduate engineering. If I can sort my shit out, I'll graduate only 2 years late. Lost wages about $100+k, and certainly a lot of emotional distress... I wonder if I can sue a disease. XD
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.