Laxative Addiction

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by HexenBexen, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HexenBexen

HexenBexen Well-Known Member

I don't know if this would qualify as an eating disorder of any kind but over the past year or so, I'm hooked on taking laxatives unecessarily. Sometimes I binge eat, or simply eat something I know is bad for me and I feel dirty and disgusting. So, it seems the natural thing to do is take laxatives to clean out the inside. They also tend to make me nauseous, painfully crampy and sometimes a little feverish, so it works as a form of self-punishment, too. I know it's unhealthy and potentially dangerous (I'm dehydrated a lot) but it's become very hard to stop. I recently told a close friend of mine about it because every time she comes over, I know she notices if I accidentally leave them sitting out. It was embarassing, but for some reason, I felt the need to be honest.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm just curious if anyone else deals with this issue...

2. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Instead of laxatives, try psyllium fiber like metamucil. I take a spoonful in a glass of water every night and it keeps things moving. Also, I occasionally flush out my colon with water if things seem clogged up. Laxitaves are bad because you become dependent on them.

3. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I don't now but I used to abuse laxatives while I was at school. Like you, sometimes I'd binge, sometimes not. But purging with laxatives still counts as purging and therefore is a Bulimic behavior (though anorexics sometimes purge, it's bulimic when you are binging and purging on average twice a week.) I'm here if you ever need someone to talk with. I've been struggling with an eating disorders (Anorexia, Bulimia, and ED-NOS) for 6 years so I know quite a bit about them.

4. HexenBexen

HexenBexen Well-Known Member

Thank you. I appreciate it. How are you doing now with the eating disorder?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.