Laxatives abuse

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by No_Angel, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No_Angel

No_Angel Member

I'm taking laxatives 3 times the recommended dose for a little less than a year and honestly , I don't want to stop , but I know I have to. But I'm afraid ,no,I'm SURE that I'll gain weight and I'll eat about 1000 calories a day and work out and yet I won't be able to lose weight...

2. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Any weight you lose with laxatives is just water. Using laxatives does not absorb any of the calories you have eaten.

At the height of my ED I was taking up to 50 laxatives a day. I had to give up University because of it. I knew laxatives were not helping me lose weight but at the same time I couldn't stop myself from taking them.

You're putting yourself in danger by abusing your body like this, abusing laxatives will make you deficient in a lot of essential vitamins & minerals & you'll end up very dehydrated. Not to mention the longer you continue this your digestive system & metabolism can become really screwed up. Even now I suffer from ill effects from what I done to my body.

It's good that you are able to realise that you need to stop but you need to want to stop for anything to really happen.

I know it's hard & I know the prospect of it is terrifying but please I urge you to try & give up the laxatives.

Massive hugs :hug:.

3. anonymous85

anonymous85 New Member

Please, quit the laxatives now! You'll just end up taking more and more when the amount you take now just doesn't work anymore. I used to take around 20 a day; I didn't lose weight. I actually gained because I was binge eating thinking that the calories would disappear, that the laxatives would counteract the food I consumed. Now, a year after quitting, I get stomach pains (though not as bad as the cramps and bloating when I was abusing laxatives) and I can't "go" without taking a laxative once or twice a week. It's not worth it! That initial thin/flat stomach feel after you've emptied the contents of your bowels disappears after you drink water and eat again. And the pounds come back on as rapidly as they came off. It's a vicious cycle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.