Lazy people - you ARE harming the world.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by BeautifullyChaotic, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeautifullyChaotic

BeautifullyChaotic Well-Known Member

I need to rant, so I'm going to -
    I'm sick of young people advocating laziness as being "their choice in lifestyle" and saying "it has no effect on anyone else, so it's no one's business".
    It does effect everyone else, let me lay it out for you;

You work, you earn money, you spend money, businesses make more money, businesses grow, more jobs are created, more people work, more people earn money, more people spend money, businesses make more money, businesses grow more, more jobs are created ect ect. See how that works? It's what we call a cycle and yes, it's what makes the world go round.

Now, what happens when you are lazy and refuse to work, relying instead on your parents and government aid?

You don't work, you don't earn money, you don't spend money, businesses lose money, businesses downsize, people lose jobs, less people are earning money, less people are spending money, prices go up to make up the difference, people spending money start spending less to make ends meet, businesses downsize, people lose jobs ect ect. This too is a cycle.

"I'm just one person, my actions don't hurt the economy". Yes, yes they do, because while it is true that you are just one person, so all the other's who refuse to work and collectively you are killing the world's economy. You can't sit on your ass playing Xbox and blame the government for the crappy economy because the fact is that you yourself play a huge roll. If you can't work due to illness or disability fine, but if you are able there is no excuse.

"There are no jobs out there". There are jobs out there, you just have to actually WORK to get one. You can't ask for it and expect it to come to you, filing out an application and sitting by the phone isn't going to get you anywhere, you have to prove to the company that you want to work. Dress professionally, even for fast food, be clean and well groomed, shine your damn shoes and comb your damn hair when you turn in the application, and give it to the manager, not a cashier. A couple of days later, CALL and check on your application. If they tell you they hadn't had a chance to look at it yet, say "Thank you, I'll call back in a couple of days", then CALL BACK in a couple of days! Do this with 10 companies at least and you WILL get at least one interview within 2 weeks. Stop making excuses and get off your ass and ACTIVELY look for work to fix our economy, stop being a drain on society and on your family and be responsible for yourself.

Rant over.

2. pit

pit Well-Known Member

-- "shine your damn shoes and comb your damn hair " --

Cursing at me ain't gonna get me off the Lay-Z-Boy any faster. In fact, your tone discourages me. If I have to WORK to get a job, they should PAY me to look for a job. Retort over. Let me get back to my recliner, nachos, sody pop and Syfy Channel.

3. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

i'm young, i work, i study, but i don't spend lots of money. what's that make me? lol o.0

arguably cause i'm saving for a lump sum i'll still spend money eventually so i guess it works.

trivialities aside though, i see what you mean.

in terms of jobs though, i work for myself (i'm a tutor). but starting out i still had to be pretty in-your-face with visiting old teachers, flyers, etc. otherwise i wouldn't have had any students. a year later i don't have to search so hard -- they mostly come to me through word-of-mouth, but starting out in ANY job means working harder.

4. BeautifullyChaotic

You are an example of what people should aspire to, someone willing to do the work it takes to gain employment and income and reap the rewards. I commend you on your lack of lazy! (as well as your abilities to save for whatever large purchase you are waiting to make, saving is hard lol)Too many people expect everything handed to them, including a job, but it just doesn't work that way and you should be very proud of yourself for what you have accomplished.

5. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Well thank you for enlightening me. Do you work for the Conservative Party? I mean seriously, you honestly believe that shit? Ok, so you say they are lazy, how do you know? How are they supposed to goto college or university? Remember not everyone was born with a silver spoon in their mouths and a rich mummy and daddy to bail them out of any trouble they have. And as for employment, how do you propose for that to happen? In case you haven't noticed sat in your ivory tower, their are no jobs for anyone without qualifications. And they cant goto college or university to get said quallifications because remember, they cant afford to go.

Seriously, its bigotted views such as this that really really piss me off. They tend to come from rich people or well off people who have never had to worry about money in their lives. Oh and by the way, no matter what you are led to believe, a life on benefits is harsh. Come and try and live a week in my life, you will see what its really like.

Oh i just noticed another one of your views. These jobs you claim their are, go look at exactly who those jobs are going to, and you will realise something very disturbing. Whether you are in the US or the UK the same thing is happening.

6. BeautifullyChaotic

Schools offer financial aid and student loans, pell grants that never have to be paid back for low income individuals and single parents - you're wrong, there are always jobs (just most people think they are too good for fast food or retail) and if needed, one can actually get get 2 part time jobs! That's right, you are allowed to have more than one! Who friggin knew?

I've never been rich, or even middle class, but I have always worked to support myself and my family, sometimes multiple jobs at one time. Sure, I have always done without the things I want, but I've still worked since I was 15 years old to make sure I had the things I need. I have always done this because I know the value of independence, and would rather not depend on someone else for my daily bread... as soon as I'm done with radiation and have my health back I'll be right back on the horse because it's what is right. As it is, and as sick as I am I am still working and earning a paycheck from home doing data entry, it's not great money but it takes care of me and my family so no one else has to do it for us and I don't have to suck up disability funds that someone else may need, sure, I could get disability if I wanted to, but I am quite capable of typing and talking on the phone, and there are always jobs that require only that.

I'm not conservative, I am actually quite Liberal but can't for the life of me understand why people just wont go as far as they need to to better their own lives, and instead make excuses like, "I can't afford an education", or, "There are no jobs", because both are utter bullshit. I went to school online, from my own living room on financial aid, and not only did I find a job online within 2 weeks of beginning my search, my husband found two jobs within a month of each other. So how is it that, if there are no jobs out there, two people in one household have found 3 of them in the last few months?

7. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to get a job when I left school in the late 80's but I wouldn't wanna be a youngster now. Life's hard now,it's all well and good saying people should take minimum wage jobs but in the uk we pay double what you Americans do for gasoline/petrol,food is expensive. Gas and electricity prices have gone up by something like 40% this year alone,Britain is expensive beyond belief. So somebody should bounce out of bed every day and go skipping off to a minimum wage job then by the time all bills are paid have fuck all left at the end of the week. Instead of picking on the poorest and least educated to blame the state of the world on,how about we go to the top?
    The banks are the ones who fucked up this world,taxpayers bailed em out to the tune of billions and billions while those fuckers keep their jobs and carry on with their champagne lifestyles. That's the kind of shit that ruins this world,the gulf between the rich and the poor,people that can fuck up and bring the world to it's knees and still keep their jobs. Governments that don't know what the truth is,tellin their lies to get elected. Self serving ego maniacs hell bent on personal glory and riches always protecting the banks and leading companies from higher taxes because once they quit politics they wind up working for those fuckers in "advisory" roles. I did 20yrs in full employment till something clicked in my head and I couldn't be assed to work 14 hours a day just keep my head above water. Fuck dat so I guess I'm one of those lazy leeches now but hey il be gone soon so don't hate me too much but I really don't think the unemployed are to blame for all this.

8. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

I agree with Mark101 and angerfist. I don't know how it is where you live, but where I live, all those things you're making sound so easy... aren't. I have tried the "dress up nice and pick up an application" route. Do you know what I get told? Oh, you have to fill out the application online. Which makes it impersonal because yes, it does make it harder. Because now we're getting judged by what we put on an online application rather than what we wear when we pick up the application. There is no "turning it in" because it gets sent in online. And as far as calling goes, believe it or not, not all managers like that. Yes, it helps in some cases, but not all the time. I'm unemployed right now and I don't quite appreciate being called "lazy". I've been freelance writing because hey... it does help and being a writer, one day it will look good when I hope to get published. Either way, it helps until someone finally calls me back. I don't just "sit on my ass" while trying to find a job. That's an assumption that kind of... you know, hurts. And yes, life on benefits is harsh. And whether people want to believe it or not, we don't enjoy taking the money. In fact, it is often a last resort.

And yes, I have tried fast food. They direct me to their website, too. Hell, even Family Dollar does now.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2011
  9. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Sorry, lifes not so "simple" as that.

Just a word of advice, rant about the individuals, don't rant about a generalized group to which, you have no true understanding about. You only know about general stuff, and maybe a few specific people in your area(s). You don't know the situations or anything about these people who are "lazy". Simplistic Generalized statments spawn further discrimination. Stop defining people, atleast like this. It's not about targeting people who are fucked or "lazy" it's about suggestion POSITIVE enformencet, tackeling the ISSUES and in all avoiding the EASYNESS of latching onto blaming people. And ALWAYS, hold onto the fact. You don't know everything. So you're always learning to understand.
    ps, jobs... are...not....that...easy.. TO..FIND! :) Your suggestions are kinda positive, but the way you do it is like "fucking idiot". It's a bit of a fuck you.

It's not doing it, it's how you do it. Just a suggestion, try and be more diplomatic, or suffer the wrath of a equal response from people. Or no response at all.

10. Kaos General

Ok then lets go over this and maybe you can move into the real world.

These jobs for fast food and retail go to migrants. That has even been coborated by our governments own statistics. So again, i ask you, which jobs are these people supposed to apply for? 2 part time jobs at minimum wage still does not even begin to cover enough to live on. Sure you can work, but where do you imagine those people are going to live? Its a hard choice, work and be made homeless or not work and at least you will have a house over your head.

So you have always had a job, which leads me to believe you are at least of the age to act like a condascending arse. Have you actually conversed with a school leaver within the past 4 years? Maybe then you would let your bigoted views just fly away. Why this makes me angry is this. Because of complete and utter idiots who hold the same views as you i am treated like some sort of social pariah because i am claiming benefits because i have liver cancer and hep c. I get told on a consistent basis i am lazy, incompetent, thick, and why? Because i am on benefits. So im sorry but your bullshit does not wash with me because why should i made to feel like this because of idiots such as yourself who love nothing better than to kick someone when they are down.

11. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

I don't think she get's that the UK is literally bashing people down. Marks very right. The prices for everything are extremely expensive, even for basic foods. If you're fortunate to have a vehicle and are on minimum wage, youre looking at having next to nothing if you rent a house. You can't have a house, otherwise you're blasted with council tax ontop of every other bill which eats away at minimum wage job earnings. It's demoralising to work some of these shit jobs that offer no + money or + skills/experience for you to advance. Make £800 a month, rent 350, council tax 100, electric 40-60, food 200+, petrol 100+ (insurance then, MOT testing, tax disc ect aswell)

Oh yeah. LIfes fucking peachy isnt it.

12. Kaos General

Didnt you know, we have it easy. We get to give the majority of the jobs to EU migrants and then people wonder why their are no jobs. But then we are lazy, stupid and incompetent after all. Its always the people who already have a job that have the most outspoken views on unemployment. Its like they have somehow forgotten that it could so easily be them in the same position as me and the 3 million unemployed in the UK.

13. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

First of all, I'm going to close this thread. It's becoming a little too heated, and too personal.

Before I do though, I just need to add something.

I'm sure there are "lazy" people out there. But the tone of this post led me to believe that you feel all people who are unemployed and struggling, are lazy. And that just isn't the case. There are lots of people on benefits (myself included) who are REALLY trying to find work. But it's not as easy as it's made out to be. I'm glad you and your husband were able to find work so quickly. But sadly, that's not how things usually work. And because it doesn't always work that way, doesn't mean the people aren't trying, or aren't wanting to work. There are lots of good, capable people in this world who genuinely want to make a better life for themselves, but who can't find jwork, and who are looked down upon because of this. Financial aid is great... when you can get it (it generally doesn't cover the entire amount that needs to be paid). Loans... Loans... I know people who are struggling to make ends meet, even with a decent job, because they went through school on loans and now can barely afford to pay them back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.