Learning to talk

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Wastingecho, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

communication with professionals and the like is a huge, impassable problem for me

i know that if i can't talk about things, that i won't even have a real chance of improving but i am so distrusting and afraid of these people, of what they'll think or do

plain speaking does not work, i just shut down completely in their presence

journals don't work - they just frustrate me

i haven't been able to find a single safe way for me to talk about anything

i need help but i don't know what to do at this point, other than give up

2. jnine

jnine Well-Known Member

Hello Wastingecho,

i do understand, communication is a massive difficulty for me as well. It feels like i'm trying talking through miles of foam or dirt or something noxious; just emptiness or distance would be an improvement, so i have no good advice offer but sometimes if i wrench my perspective around then i can do it this way.

"There is no safe way, but i might not need safe, i'm mean (you're) already prepared for failure, maybe more than prepared, why not just start out with the unsafe stuff. "

nothing to loose is nothing to loose.

and i practice. i think about what i might like to say, what i wish someone would hear, and i think all the ways to say that as clearly and specificially as i can. talking out loud to my self is awkward but sometimes helpfull.

i really hope you find a way to say something, i will think good thoughts towards you

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

i think a good therapist has ways to get one to open up more to gain your trust It took me a long time to trust and start talking but i am. There is still a part of me that holds back because i feel it is never too good to give up total control to someone Just write out one or two words that would cover what is on your mind and let the therapist help you communicate. take care

4. Sammakko...

Sammakko... Guest

I should be no joking for the docs but It never happend... I control my nervously by joking so my papers always look real bad...

5. swimmergirl

swimmergirl Well-Known Member

At least you are keeping the idea of talking to someone on the table, that's a good sign. Keep thinking about it, and take the plunge when you are ready

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.