Legal definition of Suicide?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Pelthalas, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pelthalas

Pelthalas New Member

I have suffered for some time now from both depression and high blood pressure. Although often tempted by suicide I have resisted the urge so far primarily fro religious reasons. What I want to know is, if I stop taking medication that keeps my blood pressure down then die as a result, would this count as suicide, legally, morally or in religious terms?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

If you are taking action that will effect your ability to live yes it is suicidal behaviors
  3. hardlife

hardlife Well-Known Member

If you are religious, please remember that God wants you to live your life even if it's not a great life. I feel that God has chosen me to live a terrible life for a reason. Continue to complete his task, and we will be treated as good as possible in the end :)
  4. Sais

Sais Well-Known Member

I don't understand the question. Would you mind if it did count as suicide?
    I truly hope you can continue looking for other solutions to keep yourself alive.

All the best.

There was this definition of the true suicidal person Kafka wrote, the true suicidal is the prisoner who sees the hanging place being prepared in the yard outside, he thinks it's for him, so he escapes at night and he goes to hang by himself.

(Couldn't help writing it here :D )
  5. Pelthalas

Pelthalas New Member

@ hardlife: I asked about the religious part because as far as I am concerned, God has given me this illness, therefore he clearly wants me to die. By taking pills to reduce blood pressure I am fighting against his will. Please don't say he hasn't given me the illness, God made me in his image, except he forgot a few important things, immortality, omniscience and a whole list of other stuff. Fact is, I am going to die one day, no way around that. What difference does it make to God or the universe in general if that day is today or 10/20 or 50 years from now? The only real difference is how much I suffer in the run up to my inevitable death.

@Sais: It kind of matters whether it is suicide, according to religious texts suicide is a sin. If you believe in purgatory there is a special place for people who kill themselves, right alongside murderers and presumably anyone else that has directly or indirectly participated in the killing of another human being for whatever reason. Apparently God does not acknowledge shades of grey in our lives, so I want to know because I feel it is pointless to fight death when my life is so crappy anyway.
  6. Sais

Sais Well-Known Member

Have you tried going to a therapist, if yes, it hasn't helped? Maybe you should consider going to another doctor?

When I feel suicidal I think of something I read somewhere, it's not the purgatory, it's the "rumor" that beings who commit suicide are trapped in this world until their life time is over. It seems death is the only thing that can't be changed, the time of death I mean. That scares me.. And I quite believe it for some reason.
  7. Pelthalas

Pelthalas New Member

I have had two therapists in the past. The first abandoned me when I had a crisis, although not before having me admitted to the local psychiatric ward. The second had no chance with me since I am no longer capable of speaking about anything of importance. I terminated our sessions together when I realised it was a huge waste of her time and my church's money. As to doctors, sadly I have enough experience with psychiatric medicine to know that they are still basically all quacks, with no more idea what makes the brain tick than I do, possibly less. I will never again speak to a doctor about depression, my last experience in hospital ensured that. As far as I can see, the best approach is to pretend that nothing is wrong and keep my options open.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.