Legal issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know any specifics about being admitted to a psyche ward? I know legally I'm considered unstable and unable to own a gun but is there also some other things as well? As long as I'm seeking help I can't be considered a danger to others as well right?

Wastingecho

not sure where you live and the rules may differ

when in doubt, ask the hospital

some places give you more leeway if the admission is voluntary, but even that may not be much and once you're in, you may have to meet specific conditions before you get released - those usually include attending the therapy sessions, taking your meds, and generally showing some kind of overall improvement

you may not even be allowed outside for a breath of fresh air until the doctors say it's alright

this is information that i didn't have before i signed myself in - it definitely would have made things easier if i had know some of this beforehand

hope it helps and that it works out for you

wyngedbyste

The only way you can be considered a danger to others is if you make threats, through word or action, against someone else. No one can preemptively decide you are dangerous. As for the owning a gun thing, your medical records are protected. You have to give permission for anyone to access that information. Some states ask the question on the application for gun ownership and it is your choice whether to answer honestly or not. Being admitted to a psych ward for depression and/or suicide attempts does not make you dangerous to anyone except yourself. That's why they won't release you until they certify that you are no longer a danger to yourself. Otherwise, the fact that you were inpatient is no one's business but yours. You have no obligation to share that information with anyone.

Byste

Evixen

SF Veteran
If you say you are going to hurt yourself or someone else, or a doctor thinks you are, or a doctor thinks you are unable to care for yourself, you will be admitted. Usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00