Legal reprecussions of saying your suicidal.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Jacob1973, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacob1973

Jacob1973 Well-Known Member

Ok, so you seek medical treatment, but since you were "suicidal" at some time in your life, all of a sudden you loose various freedoms and rights, even if you get help and treatment and are "cured". Whats the point then of even going to a DOC when you are then treated as less than a citizen/human being by the govt afterward?

I am sure that various mental health pro's on this forum recognize what I am talking about, since ever time I go to get a simple doctor's appointment now, they have me fill out a stupid standard mental health questionair that I simply fill out with the BS that they want to hear.. (check NO! to most of it!)

That is one fear as to why I have not gone to talk with a doc...
  2. mollycat

mollycat Member

You need to find the right doctor. Most are terrified that if they don't lock you up.
    Your family will sue the crap out of them. Even if they don't like you and are glad you are dead.
    It's just a sad state of the world in general and why I struggle with the concept of living.
    I myself just talked to my doctor and told him how much I just hate living.
    He is a good guy and told me to quit drinking so much..YEA I need to do that.
    Hang in there, only tell people you can trust.
    Like us:):)
  3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

that's never happened to me, either in canada or in ireland. my doctor's in both countries know about my suicidal feelings, my attempts, and my hospitalizations. there is no special questionnaire for me. we have a good relationship. maybe it's something specific to where you live or your health care plan?
  4. 1victor

1victor Well-Known Member

Your medical records can be and will be used against you no matter what country you are in. Take it any way you want, guys. Some people cannot handle the truth so, they invent a happy world and live in it. So, be it. I only wish you never get in a situation where this fact may surface just to bite you in the a**.
    One can lose his/her rights just by being a diabetic.
  5. Cpt-Fantastic

Cpt-Fantastic Banned Member

those motherfuckers, i knew it. theyre just blowing smoke up your ass when they say its anonymous, i stressed that on the first appointment with my psychologist, is this anonymous, will noone ever know what we discuss here, and that im treated here. no she says, they wont even disclose if im under treatment there if someone calls. BS. i called in and said i was from a medical office, only needed a date of birth and they gave me all sorts of shit. she even tried to get me locked up because i told her im having suicidal thoughts. fuck that, id rather have help than get sucked in only deeper bitch
  6. mollycat

mollycat Member

with that nut job in that AZ shooting..It's only going to get worse.
    Once our medical history's are in some computer data-base.
    I see a day, If I live long enough, where everyone will be forced to take meds.
    Denied the right to drive, own a gun, or anything that the "State" decides is dangerous.
  7. LogDork

LogDork Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I think most of it is a CYA for them, what we call "cover your ass" documents in contracting. Just answer no to things that would put you, and them in a compromising legal situation, it's just red tape. The medical people are legally liable for their actions with you, and probably dont like the barriers that such forms present any more than you do.
  8. Ravenwing

Ravenwing Well-Known Member

This is really scary. In the UK, things are different, but hearing this I wonder just how much.
  9. Jacob1973

Jacob1973 Well-Known Member

I have traveled around the US and seen many different doctors, in many different states, and it is very common questionair now. Use to not be asked, but now you are.

If you live in CA, you really get your freedoms and rights taken away, and many other states are following suit because some of it is also Federal law.
  10. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

can you give me an example? i've been in and out of the mental health system for years. never felt that i lost my rights, even when i was on a hold. maybe i'm in that happy world you describe, but i don't think so. how can you lose your rights being a diabetic?
  11. Well-Known Member

The only right I lost due to being 5150'd was the right to own a firearm for 5 years. And it wasn't any of the many docs that I told I had suicidal ideation that had me 5150'd either. Unless you tell the docs you're currently suicidal they aren't going to commit you.

However, your medical records are not very secure. Did you know there are companies that sell your prescription histories? Not sure who all they sell to, but I know health insurance companies are one of them.
  12. mollycat

mollycat Member

You can't hold a CDL= commerical driver license= in the USA if you are a needle using diabetic.
    You can't buy a firearm in the USA,
    If you have ever been committed to a mental institution.
    There are two.
    I wonder about job applications.. filling out the mental health questions.. Not a problem, because I just lie through my teeth.
    You can do that without computerized records.. once they are in the databases..God help us, well people like us.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.