Legalizing drugs and prostitution?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by MeAndYou, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeAndYou

MeAndYou Well-Known Member

The drugs I am mainly referring to-

Marijuana- Schedule 1 substance
    Heroin- Schedule 1 substance
    Cocaine/crack- Schedule 2 substance
    Methamphetamine- Schedule 2 substance
    Psilocybin Mushrooms- Schedule 1 substance
    LSD- Schedule 3 substance

Rewind. 1971. Some of you were around when Nixon declared "The War On Drugs", and anyone reading this will be able to tell their grandchildren they were alive during one of the most failed, costly (both monetarily and loss of life), and prolonged policies implemented by the United States Government. The war on drugs has essentially become a policy that is fighting crime which is the direct result of the war on drugs. And it isnt just inside the USA. Mexico as of late has been seeing major loss of life as a result of the crime that accompanies the drug black market (drug cartels).

In 2006 over 800,000 people were jailed as a result of drug offenses in the United States. 86% of those drug offenses were simple, non-violent, possession charges. Over 500,000 people sit in jail right now as a result of non-violent drug offenses.

Many people argue against legalizing these drugs saying "I don't want a meth head living next door to me."
    -Cue irony-
    By that logic, you already do. And they are probably cooking, (producing), meth as well.

Drugs today are THAT easy to get, and this while they are schedule 1, 2, and 3, controlled substances according to the Drug Enforcement Agency. So by legalizing said drugs, youre not increasing demand, or the amount of people who are going to try said drugs, but instead you are removing the black market that the "War On Drugs" has created. You remove the production and distribution of drugs off the street, and related crime leaves with it, and now said drugs can be taxed by the government/local government. That means the meth head next door may still be a meth head, but now he is not cooking it in his house and selling it.

"I am being protected from myself, rather than from my next door neighbor."
    What business does any government have dictating what you can and can not put inside your own body. By legalizing drugs, you are now making it legal to possess, and consume, said drugs. BUT, much like laws pertaining to alcohol intoxication, you are NOT making it legal to be intoxicated publicly, drive while intoxicated etc. The only law you are changing is the law that says you cannot carry this substance, and you cannot put it in your body.

Also, a better education program about the effects of said drug, both positive and negative, short-term and long-term, should be implemented at high-school age, so that once an adult, said persons can make the educated decision on their own of whether or not they want to use any drug. This instead of the current "D.A.R.E." Program which basically says what the anti drug/cigarrette adverts say. "Just say no."

The same logic pertains to prostitution. By legalizing this you rid communities of the black market that surrounds it. Now you have known "whore houses", that do business just like any other business. The government can tax the profits, the employees get health benefits, background checks, now they are all of "legal age", tested for diseases, safe sex procedures are used, and best of all, its off the street.

Your thoughts?
  2. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

i think that the government should listen to what you have to say

send it to obama :]
  3. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

legalise the lot. all drugs. make it safer for the user, reduce gangs, violence and crime. use the money created to better society. cleaner drugs, no more drugs cut with crap. what is there not to support?
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Legalizing heroin would mean the world's gone fucking bonkers:laugh:

As for the prostitution, I agree that should be legalized. It would keep the prostitutes safer.They're going to do it anyway,so the government might as well make some money from it.
  5. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

I agree fully with what you are saying. I would also add anabolic steroids to this list... its absolutely rediculous that they are banned just because the government is worried about people cheating in baseball... now you have to worry about putting possibly harmful or ineffective crap into your body if you use since they are no regulations on the stuff. And all this money spent when the amount of people that actual use is a very very very small fraction of the population.
  6. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

you mean so than it already has, I assume :)

heroin, cocaine, you name it. none of it has been illegal all that long in
    the history of the world. it is a recent phenomenon, relatively speaking
    as in, the 20th century by comparison with however long the planet has
    exsisted. anyway, you're right about prostituition. didn't we already
    have this thread? :laugh:
  7. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

I agree for the most part, but Heroine, Meth and Crack will always lead to crime if people need money to buy it whether its being purchased from Tareeq the dealer or David the pharmacist.
  8. ACRon

ACRon Well-Known Member

plus everyone would need a new education of how to control it, everyones familiar with the one person gets you on it the other person gets you off it thing. if both sources were legal there would be no balance :badger:
  9. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

you think you know what you are talking about, but in fact you do not.
    I would say you're full of shit, but that isn't very polite :biggrin:

it's a stupid argument. very analogous to gun laws. it's already agin the law
    knock people over the head and take their dosh. what bloody difference
    does it make what the reason is for knocking the head and stealing the
    dosh? it's already a crime to do so.

stupid argument. really stupid.

plus, ya spelled heroinE wrong
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  10. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

And I would take offense if you weren't a blithering idiot with a penchant for attention whoring and retardation, so don't worry about it.

The point is that majorly addictive drugs like those will always lead to crime if the alternative is agonizing pain regardless. Legalizing them won't reduce crime, just tax the proceeds.
  11. hellwithhugewounds

hellwithhugewounds Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is trying to say drugs don't lead to violence, legal or illegal. But I think what the thread starter is trying to argue is that the biggest crime problem is not people robbing for drug money, it's the black market and organized drug lords who are the ones providing the drugs. The black market, where everything and anything is acceptable. We can see this in the drug wars of Mexico. Those wouldn't happen if drugs were legal, because drug lords would no longer be the only source of drugs. Who would want to get drugs from a drug lord who would kill you without a second's notice if you could get it from your doctor or a cigarette store? Why would they fight over something that's now worthless to them because nobody would buy it from them? Drug lords would go out of business, thus, violence from ORGANIZED CRIME stops due to legalization. violence for people buying would still exist, but hey, it's better than having both types of violence. Prostitution, same principle.

And this organized crime is EXACTLY what happened with prohibition of alcohol in the U.S. back in the 1910-1920s. Organized crime began in the U.S. from booze smuggling.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2009
  12. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Definitely think people should have the choice what they want to put into their body. And there is absolutely no reason prostitution should be illegal. There should never be any shame when it comes to sex.
  13. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

Its easy for people to say "legalize everything" when they arent exposed to it.

Think about this......Say prostitution and drugs were totally legal everywhere across the board. That means these things are no longer done in secret and underground. They are now done right out in the open, right in your face so to speak. Imagine going out to dinner with your family, and the people at the table next to you are shooting up herion. Imagine not even being able to walk your kids to school without passing by a prostitute on the street corner trying to solicit a John. Is this really the world you want to live in?

It is true that criminalizing these things doesnt stop them from happening. However, what it does do is drive them underground so that people who choose not to engage in these types of things(the vast majority of people btw) don't have to be constantly exposed to them.

I'm willing to bet money that most people who say they are in favor of legalizing drugs and prostitution would quickly change there minds if that shit was happening right in front of there faces.
  14. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

deleted post
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  15. hellwithhugewounds

hellwithhugewounds Well-Known Member

Clam you really have a grudge against debates don't you? :blink: awww... you edited your post. The word "debate" is no longer in it...

Prostitution - George Carlin - "Why is prostitution illegal? Selling is legal, fucking is legal. Why isn't selling fucking legal? Why is it illegal to sell something that's perfectly legal to give away? I can't follow the logic in that at all."

Of course there's a stigma toward prostitution, there's an inherent feeling that it's immoral or bad or whatever. Not to be offensive, but what I'm getting from your post is that because SOME PEOPLE believe prostitution is immoral and should not be revealed to children, they should be banned? Why don't you want to face it right in front of your face? Duh, because you think it's distasteful. Distastefulness and morality is up to individual bias. Because you feel something is distasteful, that doesn't mean you could ban everyone else from facing it or doing it. Sure, you can prevent your child from facing it, everyone has the right to teach their child whatever they want (to a limit). But your child is no more special than anyone else. To ban the whole damn practice for EVERYONE so that your kid doesn't get exposed to it is just kinda not right. There's no reason those 1 million or whatever other people don't have the same rights your kid does. They outweigh your kid.

As for drugs, you see people smoking in public all the time. Do you think your kid should smoke? nope. Should you ban that too, so your kid doesn't get exposed to it? so you don't get exposed to it? They have the right to smoke 1000 packs a day if cigarettes a day if they want. Why is drugs any different?

If we should ban whatever offends us when it's shoved right in front of our face, I would like to ban fat people please... and while your at it nobody is allowed to eat anything fried in public, cause then I'll see it :dry:.
  16. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

deleted post
  17. MeAndYou

18. MeAndYou

Ha. No now it just means we the innocent tax payers are not paying for the 500,000 people in jail for NON-VIOLENT drug offenses. It means the black market for heroin and otehr drugs is now non existent and the crime that accompanies it burns out as well. It means the 100,000 plus gang members in Los Angeles alone cant compete with the legal distribution of these drugs, tehrefore can no longer make a profit, therefore can longer pay for (as easily as they can) the weapons they want, and hell, no longer need the weapons they have because they wont be competing for a monopoly on the distribution of said drugs. It means the meth head next door is no longer endangering the neighborhood with a meth lab, and is no longer selling it to your kids. Hes just using it by himself. I dont know about anyone else but it was a lot easier for me in highschool to get weed than it was for me to get alcohol...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2009
  19. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

Heroin is already legal for medical use and is prescribed for addicts too. so is morphine. sometimes in place of methadone which is far worse a drug. by keeping heroin underground that is where you get the gangs, the violence, the inflated prices therefore more crime, and more people dying from overdosing on cut and unknown strength substances
  20. Random

Random Well-Known Member

The way I see it, if this board doesn't prove anything else, it proves there are boatloads of us for whom the medical and/or psychological community really just has no good answers. Meaning that the best some of us will probably ever be able to do is walk around in a drug-induced stupor (whether by prescription drugs or otherwise) to numb ourselves. As opposed to simply sitting around and wishing we could be different and knowing it's not going to happen. It's obviously only ever going to be a band aid for many but many of us are probably just that desperate.

Prostitution? I really have no opinion. It's never going to be "OK" in the majority of the Western world even though everything we do could be viewed as prostitution if you substitute labor for sex and add taxes into the transaction.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.