Legally Married Gay Man faces deportaion in US

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mordeci, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/artic...married-gay-man-faces-us-deportation/19691601

Thought this was intresting, a leaglly married gay man from Venezuela who is married to a man from colorado still faces deportation, because even though the state they were married in reconizes same sex marriages (Connecticut), the federal law that allows a spouse to stay in the country if they are married to an American citizen actually defines marriage between a man and a woman. Thoughts?

2. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

This sounds like it could - or at least should - be dealt with by a higher court; if not a federal court, than the Supreme Court itself.

Otherwise, immigration issues are the purview of the national government, and he would simply be deported anyway.

3. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

The simple solution is that the federal government work by the standards of the relevant state.

The most likely outcome is a 34 year court battle that ends with half the demands meet and the problem only partially fixed if not worse.

4. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

that "man and woman" shit seems to be the only technicality that anti-gay marriage standees have. As far as I'm concerned, I feel like marriage has become a piece of paper more than it is actually a life long promise to any 'God'.
    It's a break in taxes, it's being able to share your work benefits with your partner- and it's a Mr. and Mrs.
    That's all.

Divorce is rampant, "common law" marriage is such a loose term that pretty much anyone can claim it so overall... true 'marriage' doesn't exist.
    Why shouldn't the term be modified for modern times- if it's all just about a legality now?
    We could make up a different word other than "Marriage" that encapsulates the exact same things and means the same on paper if people really want- but it's just so pointless...

Homophobes will continue to be homophobic or in the closet for a very long time, yet. It won't matter what is done to change the legality of things because whatever is done- people will still complain.

5. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Interesting possibility. That would open up the usual can of worms in American politics as to federal versus state power. That could be rather interesting, though I believe it is already established that federal definitions of marriage trump state ones (not that it couldn't be challenged...)

6. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

Honestly if they loose on the immigration issue, which it sounds like they will I would challenge the consitutionality of the federal statute defining marrage between a man and a woman, I think that would be their best bet, and probably have lasting impact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.