Length of Hospital Stay

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by PandorasToybox, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

When it comes to people being admitted into the hospital for mental health reasons, what is the criteria for how long you stay? Like how is your length of stay determined? What determines if a person has to stay for days, & a person who has to stay for months?

2. mandyj101

mandyj101 Well-Known Member

hey there ..
    im not sure exacly..but im guessing it depends on -
    wether u admit urself or are forced 2 stay under a mental health act ..
    how well u respond 2 the medication ..
    how u respond 2 therapy ..
    how severe ur problem/problems are ..

im sure there are other factors but thats all i can think of atm .. im sure if u are cooperative and are honest about how u feel - then they wont make u stay for any longer than u have 2 .. x
    all the best :hug:

3. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

basically what mandy said. it all depends on how much progess they think you've made how severe you are. why you're there etc. the last time I was in a psych ward I was in for 5 days and that was after an attempt.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Usually hospitals are short stay just enough to get you stable get resources in place for you in the community to go to. It is better to go in voluntary that way you would be in lock down usually. take care and i hope you decide to go in and get some help.

5. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

Thanks for the R&R's!

It'll be awhile before I get in because I've been rejected by the counselors again, so it looks like I'll have to go out of town for help as I've exhausted all resources here.

6. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

If you go directly to the ER and tell them that you are feeling extremely suicidal or that you are in danger of harming yourself, they will usually help you get admitted to the pward. Or atleast keep you there until the immediate danger has passed. Yes going voluntarily means you can be discharged at either the docs approval or within 48 - 72 hours after you have been admitted. When you are in the pward if you ask for help and are willing to utilize what they offer, you can stay for several weeks or longer. It depends how long it takes to get the outside help in place for your safe return home. If you are considered no longer a danger to yourself and or others you may be released quickly with an outpatient program for you to attend. These can be several times a week or even on a daily basis and can run for up to about 8 weeks. Then it continues with support groups. The outpatient programs are really interesting and informative for different coping skillls, making contacts, and even making a few friends that understand you. But going back to your original question... it truly depends on the individual, the attending doctor and how well you are capable of showing reasonable recovery in the time you are there. Good luck hun.

7. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Generally they begin with 2-3 days. They evaluate how they feel you are doing and what the risk is. After you have something in place for follow up care, they will consider release. it also depends on the type facility you are in. If it is a short term facility, the stay isn't as long.

8. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

I think the law in ontario is 72hrs if they think ur a danger to ur self or others..they can keep u longer but I think they need to see a judge 1st before they can do that....that about all I know

9. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

Depends on where you live.

In the U.S and in my state, if a minor attempts suicide, there is a mandatory minimum 5 day stay at some mental health facility

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.