Let Loose This Little Gem Today

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Soft Serve, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soft Serve

Soft Serve Well-Known Member

A friend was trying to convince me to stay awake into 72 hours. Said "Yeah sleep is important, but you never know if you'll ever wake up. Kind of scary right?"

He was joking naturally. But in sleepless stupor I replied "pfft I'm more afraid to wake up than not."

Anyone else feel this way? Like everything everywhere is a risk? Like you can die walking down the street via errant turn by a car driver, or a snapped power line dropping over your head?

Anyone else ever feel like falling asleep and not waking up, might not be all that bad? No suicide. No pain. You just don't wake up. Nobody feels the guilt of having not been able to prevent a suicide, they just feel a part of the tragedy in a life cut short. But you're gone. Some internal organ has dropped the ball, and you're gone.

I'm not entirely depressed or suicidal. I have my ups and downs. But this kind of thing is in my mind. If I had the option, would I take it.
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I think we all feel that way on occasion - after a bad day or if you know a few particularly difficult things are upcoming especially. There is an allure to the idea "maybe I just won't wake up tomorrow then I won't have to deal with it". Human nature is to look for the easy way or the path with least resistance. It is only secondary processing that reminds us that the path of least resistance seldom gets us what we actually want. It is really saying "I wish all my problems would just go away" and it is easy to trick ourselves into believing that it would be a "not bad" thing. Some days it does seem that would be a "not bad thing" - even it retrospect when we say "I wish I would never have woke up this morning". A pity that it is so hard to remember that it is not just the problems that go away....
  3. Moat

Moat Banned Member

I cannot say that such thoughts have crossed my mind, at least not since I was a child. I have more or less accepted that I will die one day, be it tomorrow or in thirty years time and can honestly say that I am not bothered by it anymore.
  4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I don't know about "not waking up" but I sure love to shut down and sleep if I'm having a hard time. If I'm lucky, I have good dreams and want to stay and see the end of the "movie" before I get up in the morning. :lol!:
  5. Wispiwill

Wispiwill Well-Known Member

I think like that fairly regularly. I consider it part of my 'passive' suicidal tendencies. I have a tendency, when in such a mood, to notice all the different ways I could die, if only. And while I'm not doing anything deliberately to kill myself, I might not take all the appropriate precautions in the hopes that things will be taken out of my hands.
  6. CosmikJack

CosmikJack Member

i would have to agree with you that this would be a nice way to go. who knows you might just get to stay in dream world, thats what i always hope for, and then when i wake up I'm bummed. It would be nice to just die of old age young, its interesting. A few of my friends have allready done it this year, so maybe death is finally making it around to me, or maybe he isnt.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.