Let's Be Honest...

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by rtrt46546565, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtrt46546565

rtrt46546565 Well-Known Member

Life is shit. Not just my life, not just yours... I mean the very essence of life itself. There's no point to it and much more bad comes with it than good. The only reason we even bother with life at all is to avoid boredom. Think about it. If we didn't do anything, we'd sit around all day, twiddling our thumbs while staring at a wall. We know this, we don't want this, so we do shit, even if it's shit we don't even like doing.

What is life, we wonder? I'd say, it's nothing more than keeping our(rather annoying, if you ask me) brains stimulated. We can't just sit around, drool on ourselves and be perfectly content. No, that would be too easy. Life isn't easy, it's shit, remember? No, we have to constantly stay occupied, stay occupied, stay occupied... Just to keep from going insane.

Let's be honest... We're all just dealing with this shit thing called life to avoid rocking back and forth in the corner while sucking our thumbs.
  2. JustKindaThere

JustKindaThere Well-Known Member

3. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

Twiddling my thumbs, staring at a wall pretty much sums up my life.

I wish I coudl say I disagree but... one thing I've learnt from isolation is that... yeah, that's pretty much it. The only reason we do things at all seems to be to prevent us from going completely mad. In my psychology courses, we discuss isolation a lot. It doesn't take long for one to resort to banging their head on a wall if they're lonely - especially if they have nothing to do.

Sadly, I've passed banging my head on the wall and have entered 'sitting in the corner, rocking bakc and forth, sucking my thumb'.
  4. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

So true, i didnt know how to put it into words but u did a pretty good job there.
  5. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Very true
  6. siff

siff Member

jep youre right
  7. I don't know. Life may not have inherent meaning in itself, but it's possible to still find stuff to care about enough to give it some kind of meaning for each person. Part of what keeps me around is having a pet that depends on me, and I know no one else would take him in if I was gone, because he can be kind of... hard to deal with. Even when he's gone, I wonder if I have some obligation to keep taking care of other strays and rescues and such. Not to mention all the other problems in the world I can work to fix. Taking care of stuff that would have literally died in suffering without me seems rewarding enough that, when it happens, it's probably one of the happiest moments I ever experience in life. It's a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

That's just for me, but I'm sure lots of other people have their own things that give their lives meaning. Kids, or work, or some goal or ambition. I don't think it's necessarily just about entertaining yourself to avoid boredom.
  8. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I disagree. We are alive for a reason; unfortunately many don't understand this reason, and we do make it up as we go until we learn.
    I believe we are to know and live in obedience to the Creator described in the Bible.
    This includes:
    Taking care of this planet and all who inhabit it in love and righteousness. To be fruitful and multiply. And to share the hope we have with others.

When I didn't have faith life was quite meaningless. I had everything I thought mattered:
    Materialistic junk

It wasn't enough to give me a purpose, because there is no meaning, hope, or future in it. This is one of the reasons I wanted to commit suicide. I also hatred myself and everyone else. That was another.

Of course; this is what I personally believe, and put all effort into.
  9. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself, not "we".
  10. Raven

Raven Guest

It is as if we are propelled out of our mother’s uterus with such velocity as though we were being shot out of a cannon. And early on in our voyage we can see that we are heading with great speed to the side of a barn door or a room full of pitchforks and pikes and the like, so we know it’s going to come to an end. All that’s left in the interim is the attempt to find in life a moment of peace, a laugh, some irony, and try to hold hands with those on a similar or parallel trajectory.

11. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

Without unhappiness there would be no concept of happiness - because how could one exist without the other. Hence, if you follow that thought to its' logical conclusion - we may as well be in heaven now. Because even if there is an afterlife of eternal perfection - we can have no understanding of this concept in our current state.

I'm always finding this difficult to reconcile with myself, but the few moments when it genuinely happens - all is clear.

Life may be shit - but the opposite is true at the same time...
  12. rtrt46546565

People often make the mistake of assuming that happiness is an emotion we're supposed to always feel. That is not happiness. Happiness comes in short bursts; we're unable to feel it 24/7. What we are able to always feel, though, is content. So, what would we feel without unhappiness? We'd feel content. Always. It would be wonderful.

Unhappiness/evil/sin/whatever you wanna call it is completely unnecessary. Only religious people argue otherwise, to defend their god.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
  13. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

Please don't assume religion on my part - I'm not - even though part of me wishes I was...

And you're merely changing the terminology for my point - which I put like this - if we were content all the time - how would we know?
  14. rtrt46546565

I didn't. I was referring to people in general.

Would it even matter if we knew? Wouldn't it be enough that we just were? Would that not make life better?
  15. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

Some believe that faith is a second rate option and many seem to think that religions can give people faith. Yet, some of the most devout church-goers that ever came my way were utterly bereft of faith, i.e. they had no trust in the goodness of life whatever. To this day, I am wondering whether the reason why these people go to church such a lot is that they are hoping that one fine day they will find faith there. However, genuine and lasting faith cannot be imparted by religions or anyone or anything else, because it is something that has to grow from within. It makes no difference whether one follows one of the religions of our world or none at all. The kind of faith we are on the Earth plane to seek can only be found by living our life and finding out that it really is a good and fair life from the reactions of the world around us to our own actions. It is good and right to seek the support of groups and to have some input into them, but whoever they may be, they cannot give us faith.

Yet, faith is vital for our survival, as an individual and as a species, because it lifts us above a purely earthly existence and expands our consciousness to an ever increasing perception of the higher levels of life, beyond that which is familiar to most. It enables us to travel farther, and to dream bigger. Let me tell you from first hand experience that in the final analysis, Earth life remains a dreary journey that lacks direction, purpose and meaning, until one becomes aware of what and who we truly are, and why we are here.

The recognition of this alone can give us a reason for living meaningfully and for choosing wisely, at all times. Until we find out that our life, the same as everybody else’s, indeed has purpose and meaning, true faith has little chance of growing from within. With the understanding that we have come into this lifetime in order to walk a certain pathway that is meant to teach us some much needed lessons, life itself finally helps us to build our existence on solid foundations and we recognise that every experience that comes our way presents us with more opportunities for growing ever more heaven-tall.

From Reflections On Faith

16. Aquarius123

Only through becoming aware of what life really is all about and through accepting that we are responsible for ourselves and everything that is in us and our world to truly appreciate the great goodness and kindness of our Father/Mother Creator. Small children as we spiritually all are, each one of us stands before a God so infinitely wise, good and just that it is hard for human souls to grasp the depth of the love that holds all life and lifeforms in Its loving hands. Faith grows out of taking charge of ourselves and from aiming every thought, word, and action towards the highest good of all. No-one can give us faith because it already is within us, waiting to come alive again; it needs to be tapped into so that it can grow ever stronger.

From Living Without Faith

17. rtrt46546565

Aquarius123, I'm just gonna be straight with you... All of that religious mumbo jumbo goes in one ear and out the other with me. I know you mean well, but your efforts to help me are futile. You should spend that energy on someone else.

And that goes for anyone else who may wish to post something religion-related towards me. Call me rude or whatever, but I don't take any of it seriously. Just being honest.
  18. Aquarius123

And thank you for that.

All the best - Aquarius

19. Forget2Trust

Forget2Trust Active Member

*Rolls eyes* <Mod edit: insulting> Look OUTSIDE yourself, boy. Watch the news. Care about something other than yourself. Just don't get too wrapped up in it and become an alcoholic. Hah! Why do we do things?? Everyone is different. And guess what? SOME OF US ARE STILL BORED. Some people have Antisocial PD, some have Borderline PD. It wouldn't matter how much we do in one day, we'd still be "bored" somewhat . In other words, we'd still suffer from chronic boredom. Some of us need a thrill in life whether it's a new, fresh, exciting three month relationship / infatuation or making friends with another psychopath. Why do we do things? To cure boredom? Lol. You're implying work cures a low threshold for boredom. Nope. Think again. Go twiddle your thumbs, boy . Stop putting so much energy into negative thinking . If you refuse to be positive than make it worthwhile. How about the Hell OUTSIDE of yourself and YOUR life. How about the FNing war on terrorism. How about the little girls being sold for twelve FNing dollars in Nigeria. I mean it. Realize there is a world out there , and A LOT can come from a terrible life. Passion, drive, wisdom. You must stop looking into the dark hole of emptiness and self-pity to understand why we do things, and why we're NOT self-centered if we are so forntunte to find purpose in our lives.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
  20. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

bringing up horrific examples of life in order to refute matt's belief that life is negative is not really doing much for your argument.

he never said that his situation was the absolute worst or that people never employ their psychological defences/survival mechanisms and "find purpose" in shit they've been handed. all he said was that it is, indeed, shit.

also, the insult is kinda uncalled for :(
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.