Let's do this!!! Lose a stone (14lbs) before christmas

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Petal, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Who is in? This challenge is for people who want to diet through healthy eating and exercise, not for people who have serious eating disorders.

Here we can write what we have eaten for the day, share tips, get advice from others and have the support from the lovely folk here :)

We could maybe even make it a ''group'' if everyone thinks that is a better idea.

1 stone from now until christmas is perfectly do-able! I think this is a great idea, we'll also be giving ourselves that challenge of motivation and willpower, perhaps if that goes good we will continue but for now is 1 stone before Christmas!! Perfectly do-able. I hope people want to do this. It just would be great :) It would also be helpful to write what you made for breakfast/lunch dinner etc....

14lbs down on christmas day is one heck of a christmas gift from all your hard work too.

Just an interesting fact! 1 stone = the weight of 3 bricks!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
  2. Petal

I have made a group here http://www.suicideforum.com/group.php?groupid=163

Feel free to join in!!! I think this could be a fun way to lose weight, you have to keep in mind you should not be hungry on a diet, filling yourself up with nutritious filling meals is a key to losing weight :)

3. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Not sure I can do this now. It seems all I do is eat. Mostly out of boredom. No job and all. Funny, I should be eating less to save money. But eating is also distracting. Temporary respite from all my concerns.

4. Petal

You CAN change that hun, since May I have lost 3 stone (i have just put back on a few lbs 'cos i was thinking i wouldn't) , thing is you do not have to stop eating foods you like,everything in moderation, you can be as adventurous with food as much as you like. For example this is what I do , I get some lean meat such as chicken, then pick my favourite sauce such as peppercorn sauce or curry or mushroom sauce, whichever you fancy and put it over whatever vegetables you want, I personally love the peppercorn sauce on peas,onions,carrots, then 3-4 baby potatoes with the same sauce. Salt retains fluid and makes you bloat so limit that. Eat high protein foods for breakfast, 2 boiled eggs with wholemeal bread and a banana. Or beans and low fat sausages with an egg. Eating a lot of protein in the morning will help fill you up until lunch, snack on raisins, grapes, or even a cereal bar. Dieting can be really fun and gives you something to do (can help your boredom too) look up recipes on the net and cook them. It can be fun and you can do it!!

C'mon guys and gals join in??? :)

5. CGMAngel

CGMAngel Well-Known Member

Petal - you're sounding very motivational and inspirational!

Since June 1, I have lost 2 stone 9 pounds (37 pounds) and still going. Aside from diet and exercise, obviously, I believe self-discipline is the key. You have to be fully committed to the long haul - no point giving up after one week!

6. Petal

Well done Angel, thank you. I was always a thin person it was when I moved into an apartment with my ex I put on a lot of weight in a short space of time from drinking about 3 litres of coke a day, psychiatric medications making me very hungry and the contraceptive depo provera. The thoughts of when I joined a slimming club were awful, I felt terrible about myself our leader had us taste different foods every week (foods I did not know even existed lol). I was so motivated for months, in the last few weeks i have put back on a small amount of weight but oh so glad I joined I joined the slimming club. It also taught me not just to look good for others but to feel confident about myself and feel good for me .

Well done on losing 37 pounds, wow we have about the same weight loss. I agree with you self discipline, motivation, finding the will inside you to do it is key and once you see the pounds falling off, it's very motivating, makes me work harder. If you do have the will to do it you can and will get to your target goal! Congratulations, treat yourself to a massage or something equally as nice once you hit the 3 stone mark!!!

You're doing great, again congrats :)

7. CGMAngel

Petal - thanks for the kind words. It sounds like you have a lot to feel proud of, too!

Another important thing, I believe, is to focus on the positives and not the negatives. Sometimes, while dieting, we may experience a setback and regain a few pounds, but that is no reason to give up. Body weight fluctuates from day to day anyway, sometimes for reasons beyond our control.

Very important to stay hydrated - but not with coke! Yep, Petal, 3 litres of coke a day will be your downfall! It seems they put sugars and/or sweeteners in everything - even some fruit juices have WAY more sugar than most people realize.

Anyway, now you have set your 14-pound goal, I shall be checking up on your progress!

In addition to the physical benefits - losing excess weight is medicine for the mind, too. (Well, sometimes...)

8. Petal

You are very welcome Angel!

What you said about the ''positives'' is very true. Therapy taught me that out of every negative you will find a positive. Yeah the coke was a bit insane looking back I was just very depressed and didn't wanna get off the couch, was in a verbally abusive relationship. That sure didn't help. Now I go for lots of walks, even talking to people on the way (which before I wouldn't be able to do).

That is definitely true about the juices, I had a kidney infection last week and I was in the shop reading the ingredients 'cos was looking for one with the highest amount of cranberry in it, the guy that worked there was looking at me like I was crazy lol but anyway I remember seeing it contained about the same sugar as a fizzy drink. I do still drink them occasionally, no more than 2 small bottles a week. Now I drink about 3 litres of water a day and some fruit juices.

It's great for your mind when you're losing weight, I think too that all the extra vitamins you're putting in your body while dieting have a good effect :)

I will keep you up to date with my progress and you please keep me up to date with yours!!

You can do this, I can tell from your writing that you're strong willed and have a very positive attitude towards this! Wishing you the very best of luck Angel :hug:

9. CGMAngel

From personal experience, Petal, I have learned that daily walks are far more beneficial to my emotional wellbeing than verbally abusive relationships. I am glad you were able to get away from yours.

Enjoy your cranberrying!

10. Petal

Thank you, it was actually another member here that helped me so much that I left him, I had to get out of it, I was put down with everything I did. He was fun at times but he has mental issues too. So glad I am away from him now, he is a control freak.

Daily walking is always good and relaxing. :hug: Thanks hun

11. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Share some recipes Petal! I read your recipe in the coffee house and it sounded yummy (though not diet food :p ) I want more recipes. Petal's healthy recipe inspiration!!

12. Petal

Haha that recipe is for my cheat days, yes it is sooo yummy!!

I actually get a lot of my recipes from the eggs.ie website because eggs fill you up a a lot and they are very versatile, one of my faves is spanish omelette http://eggs.ie/recipe-collections/

Check out this site too, the worlds healthiest foods and how you can make them into a recipe http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php It has so much information on the website, it'd take you a long time to read it, I've been looking on that site for ages and they do a recipe of the week thing! It's awesome.

As for my own recipes, I *thought* I had invented the spanish omelette until I saw it on the above website rofl!!!

13. Petal

As for something when I'm feeling peckish but not a full meal I would have a sandwich containing light mayo, turkey, beetroot,lettuce, onions, tomato (salt on the tomatoes) all pushed in together on multi grain bread. A lot of people dismiss beetroot I think it's very rich nutritionally and tastes great with the the ingredients above.

OR

And egg with light mayo salad mixed. boil the eggs until rock hard (about 20 mins) put them in cold water and when ready mix them with onion cut finely, cut up celery, make sure it is creamy (that so makes it feel like you're not missing out) some mayo's out there are very low in fat and cals. To fill you up for a decent amount of time eat with soda bread or wholegrain!

Don't keep crisps or chocolate in your home, it doesn't turn out well lol

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
  14. Petal

I made stew today, beef stew. Damn it was good lol. Simple really...potatoes,beef,carrots,turnip,peas and an oxo cube. I hate turnip, I added it 'cos mom wanted turnip but I just left it out of mine, it was so nice. Lots of Irish people eat stew it's one of our traditional meals, fills you up and is healthy :) I slipped up once today and drank a small glass of coke but ain't gonna let that spoil my day, was just a small glass :)

15. Petal

Tomorrow I will be doing homemade burgers or fajitas, I'm leaning more towards fajitas and salad, they're so tasty :)

16. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Beef stew sounds good, slow cooked in crock pot.

Am planning on flank steak in crock pot for Thanksgiving. Throw in some tomato sauce, a can of vegetable soup, some extra spices, serve over noodles. Very tasty, and reasonably health.

17. Maura

Maura Member

Oh I like this idea!! I keep planning to eat healthier, exercize, take better care of myself - more often than not it ends in excuses. This reminds me that the only 'perfect' time to start is now... :)

And it's wonderful how your posts are brimming with positivity and support Petal, thank you for that!

18. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I kind of accidentily lost a stone already lol but I am not opposed to losing another!

19. Petal

Well done Lexibubble!!! That's awesome!!! Wtg girl =)