Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Troubled2008, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troubled2008

Troubled2008 Well-Known Member

I think one way to help your life is to try to get better karma by doing positive things for others even if you think your life has no value. It's good to try to show the gods (or God or Spirit, etc) that even though your life sucks, you will do something good. This will in turn probably bring he/them/etc. into your favor. Basically, I'm not looking for a payoff, but I want to increase my positive energy and karma surrounding my life. I know this will make me feel better.

So here is the deal... You can join with me on this if you want... Everyday, for 14 days, I am going to try to find something positive to do for the world which I normally wouldn't do on a day-to-day basis. I will post, everyday, a response here to describe the good deed that I did for that day. It should be fun! :biggrin:

I know my life energy and path is basically HORRIBLE right now but I generally feel that I'm a pretty good person. I look out for others and put them before myself. But the fact remains, like I said, my life is having horrible bad energy and it's not exactly on the right path.

I will show the powers that be that I won't give into the darkness or sadness or anger! Even though I am angry with myself, I will rechannel my energy into positive. All will see that my life path is supposed to be GOOD, not bad... I know this can be done! :tongue:
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

Great idea. I like this thread!
  3. Troubled2008

Well, today, I was trying to think of what I should do for my project here. I decided that since I have found some solace here, at SF, that maybe I could donate to a place such as the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Money is a little tight for me right now but I squeezed out $15 to help them in their cause to fight suicide. Here is the letter I received in response:

Thank you for your generous contribution of $15.00 on March 3, 2009. We deeply appreciate your support.

In the United States, a person dies by suicide every sixteen minutes. Suicide is the third leading cause of death among fifteen to twenty-four year olds and the second leading cause of death among college students. In this country, approximately twenty million people suffer from serious depression and one million people attempt suicide each year. However, most Americans remain unaware that suicide is a major national health problem that takes an enormous toll on family, friends, and the entire community.

Your donation supports AFSP’s efforts to prevent suicide through educational
    programs, public awareness campaigns, treatment initiatives, and scientific research. It also supports programs for people who have lost a loved one to suicide. AFSP is the only non-profit organization exclusively devoted to the funding of research, education, and treatment programs to prevent suicide.

Again, we are very grateful for your support. To learn more about our programs, please visit us online at www.afsp.org. If you have any questions or would like more information, please feel free to call me at 888-233-2377 x16.

Mike Lamma

Senior Director for Development and Field Management
  4. Troubled2008

Well, this is the second day of my karma project. I feel like Earl. Anyhow... I was thinking this morning about what I should do today and decided that... I have some neighbors who are getting elderly and it's difficult for them to actually get out to the mailbox. They also like having people come over to talk... So later, when the mail comes, I will go take them their mail and go spend some time talking.

I think I can feel the goodwill flowing through me already. :)
  5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

If you look at my sig, you will see how whole heartedly I agree...showing compassion for self and others is to me the only way to pass the time here...yes, sometimes I fall quite short of this goal, but nonetheless, it is always on my radar...big hugs, J
  6. LastCrusade

LastCrusade Well-Known Member

listing out every good deed that you do for the world to see, i think will NEGATE your good 'Karma' rather than to increase it.:smile:
  7. Troubled2008

Well, I'm not trying to get attention for it or anything in that sense. I'm trying to inspire others who are sad to start working on their inner energy because I believe that purifying one's chi leads to other successes. :smile:
  8. Troubled2008

Those are some good quotes! I recently got more into the inner-peace and zen thing. It seems I can handle everything when I am internally grounded. It is the way of the wise I think. And something I've been trying to learn for years.

P.S. It might beg to ask why then my picture is of Pee Wee Herman but.... some things remain a mystery in this life. hehe
  9. Fern17

Fern17 Well-Known Member

I agree with Troubled; I like that you're listing what you're doing. It is inspiring and it offers ideas to others; things they might not have thought of on their own.

Frankly, it's so "normal" for all bad news/bad deeds/horrible things to be announced to the world. What's wrong with announcing the good deeds we do?!

Troubled, you really are an inspiration and I love what you are doing. I do try to do kind things when the opportunity arises. Maybe I don't manage to do something every single day, and sometimes there is an effort I put into doing something random to help someone else; other times, it comes easily.

Thank you for starting this thread, and I do hope you keep it up!

And one last thing, Troubled...don't be surprised if you don't always get feedback from others. I do know what it's like to be so low that you just can't wrap your tired mind around something like this. And that's ok. Just putting something positive like this out into the world is good karma in and of itself.

10. Troubled2008

Thanks, Fern!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.