Let's quit together

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Syn, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syn

Syn Well-Known Member

Hey, so this thread is for anyone who's got any sort of addiction they want to get rid of. I figure it'll be easier for us all to quit if we all work together and support each other. Anyone can post updates as to how they are doing with quitting, ask for support, or talk about why you have your addiction and why you want to get rid of it. Feel free to talk about how your addictions have impacted your life, give yourself a reminder of why you truly want to be free of your addiction.

It doesn't matter what your addiction is, chemicals, SH, suicidal thoughts, sleeping, or even glaring at tacos in an attempt to melt the cheese. Seriously though, whatever your addiction is, you're free to join me on this.

I'll be trying to quit smoking and drinking. I'd also like to be able to say no to any drugs I come across for the first time in a long time. It's funny how difficult it can be to just say no, but all of us have it within ourselves to do this. Come on guys, let's quit together. Addiction can be a debilitating thing but we don't have to be controlled by our addictions, so this is where we fight back. If anyone is with me, let's do this. If I'm doing this alone, so be it. Don't let addiction control you, YOU ARE SO MUCH MORE THAN YOUR ADDICTIONS! If you feel like it's time to show the world, and more importantly yourself, what you've got then this is it. Even if you think you're nothing and you could never quit, it can't hurt to try.

So who's with me?

2. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

I quit weed 11 days ago and cigarettes 10 days ago. I just was using them to cope and ignore life. I dont even care if im less happy than I was being stoned all the time I just dont want to use anything as a crutch anymore. I also have decided to quit drinking for good even though Im not an alcoholic(yet) I think I could have easily turned into one since I was drinking by myself a few times last week already since quitting smoking. So my last drink was on friday night and I plan to stay sober from recreational drugs for the rest of my life.

I also liked your other thread I was kind of thinking of life the same way. Regardless if I will never be happy or not I will just keep fighting just to know I did it. Fuck it, even if im not happy living I have plenty of time to rest when I die. Lets fuckin do this!:grouphug1:

3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I used to get drunk every night, but now I only drink one day a week. I used to smoke too, not very much, but I know that it's a bad habit that I need to quit. I stopped self-harming a while ago, but these habits tend to rear their ugly heads when I'm dealing with more than I can cope with. I'm trying to stay strong and fight all of this, and I know that anyone else who is struggling can do the same. We're all here to support each other. :)

4. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

I think to quit most habits/addictions, you need to replace it with a healthy alternative to cope. Shall this be our mission?

5. Witty_Sarcasm

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. It seems to be hard for me to cope with anything because I often feel overwhelmed with emotions. Maybe I just need to find something to take my mind off that, but nothing seems to work long term.

6. Syn

Syn Well-Known Member

Replacing negative habits with positive ones? Sounds like a great idea. Not only that, but by quitting we are technically taking away a coping resource, so replacing it with a more positive coping method (Or several) is a wonderful idea to keep the emotions from getting too intense.

What kinds of positive habits do you guys think you'll try? I figure we get some ideas out there maybe other people who read this will get some ideas? I'm gonna try to get back into my old ways with writing, playing guitar, doing vocals, and magic tricks. Maybe I'll try to go running, I used to go running before and when I tried to smoke afterwards it sucked, couldn't breath at all. So I think running will be great for quitting smoking.

I'm glad you're both joining me on this, and it sounds like both of you are doing great so far. Keep it up!

7. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Ive been going for daily walks with my dogs, and Ive also been getting into daily stretching. Its nice, when you are stretching you just focus on the stretch and it keeps my mind off other stuff somewhat. You also feel a lot looser and just feel better physically if you do it daily.

Syn- guitar thats awesome.. I want to learn that also but im kinda getting wrist pain from typing so much, so im going to wait a while until I start that, but I am looking forward to one day being able to play my grandpas old acoustic.

Even if I dont feel exactly happy and still think about sucide quite a bit, it does give me more self esteem knowing at least im trying to help myself out. We are fighters!

8. greenieguy

greenieguy Banned Member

I give you guys props i use weed as my crutch and i dont know if i can take away my crutch without falling.

9. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

won't ever know if you don't try.... why not try to prove to yourself that you can do more than you give yourself credit for?

10. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

sober for half a month, lol.

stick at it, people

11. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

These last few days have been getting a bit harder. I keep thinking a cigarette will help me, or getting high will help, or getting drunk... Its all fucking lies to escape being sober, oh no! anything but being sober, what a nightmare that is... Well im tired of escaping everyday, its not even that it made me happier, unless i was under the influence atm. Im gonna fuckin do this, because I need to, because its what I truly want burried under the lies of depression and addiction. Either to live sober or off myself on a bender of everything. No, im a fighter, remember? yeah. Stay with me guys

12. Syn

Syn Well-Known Member

That's the spirit Ravens, you got this! It's only getting harder because the addictions know they are losing so they're kicking it into overdrive. Just stay strong, keep fighting, and you'll be free before you know it.

Scary forest, mad props for going so long sober! You've got it, just stick to it!

Greenie guy, I know weed may seem like a crutch to you, and you may feel like you need that crutch to walk, or maybe you think you can only manage to crawl and only because you have that crutch. But realistically, weed isn't a crutch. No addiction is a crutch, it's just dead weight in your life. It's part of what it makes it so hard to walk or crawl. It might be incredibly difficult, but if you threw that dead weight aside you could rise up and do more than just crawl, you could do more than struggle to walk, you could run, and once you can run you'll learn to fly.

Keep at it guys, we're moving towards our goals. I've had a rough day today, and I know my next week or so is gonna get pretty intense but I'm gonna push forward, and fight harder than ever. I encourage you all to join me, let's show our addictions that they are nothing! They don't control us, and we don't need them to be able to stand on our own two feet. Stay strong everyone!

13. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

this thread is encouraging and motivating to an extent. thank you all

14. greenieguy

greenieguy Banned Member

Well ive been off weed for a while and things suck even more now i realised that nobody cared about my other problem but i still did. I find no hapiness no girls or anything all i had to look forward to was weed. I realise now that girls will never come and the only thing that kept me happy was weed

15. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Thanks! Except I smoked a cigar and drank a beer last night :/ Glad to be off the weed though that affects me the most mentally. However still going to hop on the complete sobriety train again tomorrow.

Weed will hold you back from all you desire in the long run, girls, happiness, jobs, hobbies. When quitting a substance that is being abused it always gets worse before it gets better and we learn to live without it.

16. Witty_Sarcasm

It's just so hard to keep things going...I might go back to my old ways, just because it's easier to cope. I tried being happy, but that was wrong. Maybe I'm not meant to be happy after all. Sorry to be a downer, but I wish continued success for all of you. I know that you can beat your addictions.

17. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Dont give up yet! I dont know if drugs really make it easier to cope, I mean while under the influence yeah, but when sober its worse than if we abstain IMO. Try to find healthy ways to cope, going for walks, one I really like is stretching. Feel nice and loose after a good 20 minute stretch routine and it can clear the mind also.

18. Witty_Sarcasm

It's hard to keep on the way I am, especially when I'm never good enough for anyone, not even myself. I guess I'll keep trying, but I'm worried that I'll fail like I always have.

19. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Yes, keep trying. Its a battle, if we fall off, all we can do is get back up and dust ourselves off and go at it again. Maker sure to take care of yourself physically to with good nutrition and exercise, I always find I crave drugs more when I dont do this. Positive affirmations, know that you CAN do this, even if it takes some time and you dont 100% believe you can, lie to yourself and affirm that you indeed can do this! Change in perspective is also needed and will take time.

20. Syn

Syn Well-Known Member

Everyone slips up from time to time, I slipped up a little while ago and bought another bottle of booze. But you know what? It doesn't matter if we slip up every now and then as long as we keep trying and don't give up. One little slip, or a hundred, doesn't mean we've failed to quit. It's only when we stop trying that we're losing. and even if you stop trying, that doesn't mean you can't start trying again.

Greenieguy, I know it seems like weed is the only thing that will ever make you happy, but that's the addictions talking, not you. Don't believe it. You can be happy sober, I promise. And when you can be happy without having to resort to a chemical, you'll become a lot happier than before because it will be real happiness, not just a chemical happiness. Stay strong, you can overcome this, and things will look up, I promise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.